LINES: Are we being conned? Part 1: DIAMETER

The Diamond Geezer

quote:

Originally posted by poledark:

DG, I do take note of what you say re line degredation, and I have had some which suddenly went all white and powdery and snapped like cotton (no need to test that little lot :D )

Perhaps we should call for a "best before" date on all spools...this would still not make me chuck away perfectly good line though :)

Den

Agreed! :) But you (Den) test all your lines and knots anyway, before fishing, so you're safe

As promised to Budgie et al, tonight I hope to dig-out and post the degradation-with-time graph of s bog-standard nylon 66 mono compared with a nylon 66/6 copolymer ... watch this thread ..

Of course, there are two things to check here

i) checking line that's been kept on its original spool at home for yonks

AND

ii) checking line that's been in fishing-use for so many hours, days and months .. and years

I'd love to know what your 15-year-old Sylcast's BS was when it was "new", compared with what it is now. Sounds as though it was well-above its claimed BS when it was new if it's still above its claimed BS now.... moral: don't buy shares in Sylcast .. their lines last for ever .... perhaps :D

DG

[ 19. February 2004, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by poledark:

DG, I do take note of what you say re line degradation '''' Den

Den, Budgie, Steve & Co

Can't tell you (for obvious reasons) where this promised graph came from, but I have got permission to use it with some deletions and modifications:-

............. Posted Image

Further explanatory text, see the B.S. thread

DG

[ 21. February 2004, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Burke:

What I meant was not average diameter but how much the diameter varied along the line. I suspect that some lines have weak spots, possibly caused by being of lower diameter at some point on the spool.

Steve, et al,

Well bearing in-mind that consistency of diameter is only one parameter, and ignoring cost and all the other PROs and CONs of a particular line, if it's purely consistency of diameter that you seek, then it's got to be fluorocarbon mono from a USA supplier

Failing that, as far as the data on nylon and co-polymer monos that I've got re: lines currently still on-sale, I'd have to point you at Shimano Catana and then Daiwa Sensor and ProGold .. but that's not to say that other brands are bad or good, just that I don't have up-to-date data on them all :rolleyes:

DG