Winter Bream (seriously big)

Steve D

Hi guys, been a while since I last posted. I wondered if any one had been out this winter after big bream. I have done a little but missed the mild spell as I was in Canada for a few weeks.

Febuary/March are my favorite months for big bream, indeed all my big doubles have come in these months.

Views, baits, questions???

I am very happy to share my tactics, ideally like to get a discussion going where we can air our ideas/tricks etc.

Edited by Steve D

Friday evening forum starting mid March 2012. Come in for a coffee, and a chat, or advice. We'll be talking rigs, tactics, venues, and anything else fishing related. Heiniken say's, probably one of the best stocked shops in east anglia... Match, sea, fly, carp, specimum. If we ain't got it, we'll get it. Look for the new Frank Warrich gel baits coming soon...

www.stanstedangling.co.uk

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, been a while since I last posted. I wondered if any one had been out this winter after big bream. I have done a little but missed the mild spell as I was in Canada for a few weeks.

Febuary/March are my favorite months for big bream, indeed all my big doubles have come in these months.

Views, baits, questions???

I am very happy to share my tactics, ideally like to get a discussion going where we can air our ideas/tricks etc.

Just out of interest Steve do you have a bait preference for Bream in these months? My big bream fishing is mostly a Spring summer affair. I would be very interested in any thing you do (or do differently) in Feb/March!

I'm thinking of a little breaming soon!

Thanks,

Rich

Edited by Kappa

Cheers Rob, it's a good read. I actually started one around this time last year. I was wondering if anyone had been out this winter or were planning something soon.

I have stumbled upon a new, big-ish deep venue, largely unfished, cheap as chips too. Reports of some very big bream, and good looking fish too, (seen some pix, capable of a lot more growing). No serious specimum hunters on this water either. Once the snow and ice subsides I will be out for a couple of 48 hour sessions. My old venue had some 'turkish thin claw crays introduced and as there were only a handful of fish in 65 acres, and that has made it almost impossible to catch... Tried plastics, however the fish on this venue even turn their noses up at bolies/pellets etc, so platics are a no-go. chods and zigs don't work either as the thin claws just pull them down (even 12" up)... Shame, but time to move on.

I was thinking about the tring/startops group, but not had any reports of big bream for a couple of years??? Someone suggested they'd lost a few fish. Walthamstow now has too many carp and the bream are now elusive, although there are some biggens in there. Nazing had a big fish loss two years back, (around 250 doubles belly up on the south lagoon).

Steve

Friday evening forum starting mid March 2012. Come in for a coffee, and a chat, or advice. We'll be talking rigs, tactics, venues, and anything else fishing related. Heiniken say's, probably one of the best stocked shops in east anglia... Match, sea, fly, carp, specimum. If we ain't got it, we'll get it. Look for the new Frank Warrich gel baits coming soon...

Hi Rich,

Yes I do, as sweet as possible and my secret (lol) trick is alcahol added to my white chocolate 10mm (PM me and I'll tell you more). I use 2/3 in a line, haired off a size ten ssc fox on a semi-free running rig. Sometimes I tip these with a single denjabeena, (however you spell it). But that said, I often ring the changes, especially if I know they are there. I have even haired up 5/6 casters on a size 14, That takes some patiance on a cold night, but it can pay off.

Also been playing around with the new frank warrick gel baits, using them in a Canadian' fish egg bag. They use these small bags to trot fish eggs for salmon. I use them to bag up 4/5 of the 6mm gels and put them on a hair. YUMMY says the bream, not seen these before. AND there is very little food content, but lots of smell and tatse... Frank gave me some samples to try, and my shop is going to stock them in the spring.

Hi Steve, good to see you posting again :)

The closest my bream fishing got to winter this season was August! I'm looking forward to reading about your exploits though.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hey And, howz things?

I am not far off that myself, my last trip was mid november on a new lake. It had shown some good signs but I struggled to get through the 7-9lb fish. Then i went to Canada for a few weeks and its now two months since I've been out>

Chomping at the bit to go< found a new lake that looks spot on, with reports of big, big doubles. Everything looks right, the size, depth, location, i.e ouse valley. Price is ludecrously cheap too, and its hardly fished as most members are on their carp lakes. In fact my mate who has walked it a few times said he has only ever seen 3 people over one weekend, and that on 28 acres. You can drive up close to most swims, and its right off the beaten track, no road noise etc. Soon as we arranged a trip, down came the snow. I will report back...

Steve

Hey And, howz things?

I am not far off that myself, my last trip was mid november on a new lake. It had shown some good signs but I struggled to get through the 7-9lb fish. Then i went to Canada for a few weeks and its now two months since I've been out>

Chomping at the bit to go< found a new lake that looks spot on, with reports of big, big doubles. Everything looks right, the size, depth, location, i.e ouse valley. Price is ludecrously cheap too, and its hardly fished as most members are on their carp lakes. In fact my mate who has walked it a few times said he has only ever seen 3 people over one weekend, and that on 28 acres. You can drive up close to most swims, and its right off the beaten track, no road noise etc. Soon as we arranged a trip, down came the snow. I will report back...

Steve

I'm fine thanks - I'll send you a PM :)

Only one bream for me again this season, and sod's law, it was exactly the same fish as last season :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The PM was about something separate John. I've never fished for bream in winter so can't really add anything, but I'm an interested spectator. I'm too busy on the rivers in the winter to freeze my wotsits off after bream, I struggle enough when it's warm!