Winter Bream (seriously big)

Steve D

We apear to just be repeating the same things as in the "Big Bream" thread.

Exactly my point budgie

We know what to do it just takes the time and effort to do it.

John

Remembering back to my youth though doing outside in the winter is a little different :o

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John,

You're right. While the thread inquiry was "" SERIOUSLY BIG" we tend to talk about what we know. Seriously big fishes in the US and the "cause and affect/effect" are rarely discussed. We discuss what we know. Few risk the time and effort (and blanks) to catch the available mass of fish in any particular species. We are breaking more "big fish" records now than ever before. Over here, without knowing a lick of the science really, I credit the government and good (better) stewardship. Formost, is the banning of harmful chemicals. Second, a lot more fish are allowed to reach a genetic potential by C&R. Third, worldwide angler communications. I certainly didn't have a computer with internet when I caught my largest fishes. be it predator or prey fish. I don't believe for a moment that there are any genetic mutations that "show" themselves in one hundred years.

For example, in a reasonably closed environment like a lake most minnows would experience - - - what? 3 or 4 generations. I suspect in England species specific protein targets (hnv) have helped certain fish reach the biological maximum. But overall, it has been a matter of stewardship. Occasionally the angling community needs a pat on the back for our efforts and I think available fish size is an area we can do just that.

Yes, if you want to catch a carp from a puddle where fish are artifically encouraged to genetically "max out" you ought to be able to do that. I find no merit in disparaging remarks about carp guys who choose to do this.

As for the topic. It has never been my experience that the "outside 2%" of a minnow species will be part of the shoal. They just don't.

Phone

I know the Wingham bream are in 'shoals', or rather small groups of big fish. There could also be a couple of loners though. BTW, they are a lot more predictable than I was initially led to believe. They might wander around the lake a lot, but at certain times of year and in certain conditions, they go to specific areas. I don't know where they go in the winter (although I have an idea), and given Steve D's experiences it would be interesting if someone would give it a proper go.

Budgie, did any of the Queenford bunch fish for the bream in winter? Or TC pit?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I know the Wingham bream are in 'shoals', or rather small groups of big fish. There could also be a couple of loners though. BTW, they are a lot more predictable than I was initially led to believe. They might wander around the lake a lot, but at certain times of year and in certain conditions, they go to specific areas. I don't know where they go in the winter (although I have an idea), and given Steve D's experiences it would be interesting if someone would give it a proper go.

Budgie, did any of the Queenford bunch fish for the bream in winter? Or TC pit?

No not really that I recall or know of mate. A couple of the guys fished for the perch a few times and I myself tried piking.But of course that was no doubt just down to the mind set of the day and the fact that none of us were "bream only" anglers.

I cant be so sure on TC though as I simply never went there in the winter! but again never heard of anything.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I also believe it's a mindset re fishing at this time of year for Bream, or indeed Carp. Less so the later, but there are people who will only target these species in warmer months. I started fishing for bream, kinda chancing my arm. It was putting 2 + 2 together, looking at match returns, i.e. bream weights in winter. For sure they are not as hungry, and invariably if you are on a water that holds bigger fish, you are more likely to snare a 'big-en' this time of year. In my experiance. I also think with the increaesed opportunities for people to go catch on heavily stocked waters, us bream and tench people are in an ever decreasing miniority. That's why these forums are important, and talking about our experiances helps us all. I hope to learn and help both ways. Sorry if I go over ground already covered in the past, but as they say lets talk and if we only get 1% of value from a post like this, then thats 1% more than we started with. I don't do secrets and WILL tell anyone anything I know including methods, bait, and venue's. I want more poeple on the bank fishing for bream and tench... On my main venue, one of the biggest issues is the lack of people on the bank and as such the fish spook real easy and won't look at anything other than a natural bait. Varying veiws on bait, but that's a fact on my water...

Steve

Friday evening forum starting mid March 2012. Come in for a coffee, and a chat, or advice. We'll be talking rigs, tactics, venues, and anything else fishing related. Heiniken say's, probably one of the best stocked shops in east anglia... Match, sea, fly, carp, specimum. If we ain't got it, we'll get it. Look for the new Frank Warrich gel baits coming soon...

www.stanstedangling.co.uk

• 1 year later...

Glad I have found this as saves asking some questions.

After a few sessions for Roach and a few reccies during this windy/wet yet warm weather I have spotted Bream rolling over a certain spot on every occasion.

A few things noted:

They are over deepest part of the water where the pit ramp ended.

This is close to the other end of the ramp where they spawn.

Rolling occurs when light levels drop.

They roll into the wind.

On windier days they seem to roll harder, on stiller days it is a more gentle roll.

I have seen bubbles caused by disturbed silt after they roll.

I have now asked myself a serious question:

Why have I not tried to catch them given I know where they are and that they will feed?

Add in the fact that I have the kit to keep myself warm, dry and Tea'd up

I feel a session coming on!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Thanks for bringing this back up Rudd, still an interesting read - and good luck with the bream, it sounds like you're well on the way to catching them :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music