Why tie hooks direct

leedsunited

What makes people tie hooks direct to line instead of using hooks to nylon ?

Is it cheaper ?

And if you get broken off by a fish , where does the brake normally happen ?

To do this using a hook tyer is good right ?

[ 13. February 2005, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: leedsunited ]

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to tie direct to the mainline (and many still do) but it really is a bad practice and one you should not get into. If the line breaks, Sod's Law says it will break above your float (or weight if you are ledgering) leaving the fish to drag several feet of line and tackle behind it.

Some people can't be bothered tying their own or their eyesight has deteriorated to the point where tying their own is a chore (if not impossible).

It is imo cheaper to tie your own, plus you can determine exactly what line (make and strength) to use. When you get broken off it will be on the hooklength itself (being weaker than the mainline) and usually at a knot, that being the weakest part.

If you can tie hooks without the use of a tyer, that's fine. I tend to use the Matchman tyer for nearly all my hooklengths, it's easy to use (with just a little practice) and produces good strong knots.

Tight lines

[ 13. February 2005, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: John S ]

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

If you snell the hook, that is tie the snood direct to the hook shank rather than the eye, the chances of hooking the fish are thought to be increased. If you think about it the hook is rigidly attached to the snood, becoming a direct extension of the snood and cannot swing about or move - this is possible if the knot is attached through the eye.

I tie my own rigs so I know the knot is good. I write this from the perspective of sea fishing

The fish I tend to catch are so small that a break off is unlikely

I am not going to tie direct to line as John S makes a good point

But i am thinking of tieing my own hooklengths

When tieing them , do i use the knot as i would tieing a hook to nylon to mainline

Thank you

[ 13. February 2005, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: leedsunited ]

i accidentally bought some spade hooks once when first getting into fishing. like john s said it will break your hooklength so you dont lose all your tackle. plus as it did for me and ben88 it lead to us tying our own hooks and saving £2 a time when we learnt to tie our own hair rigs.

always worth learing how to tie anyway

SLAYER!!!!!!!!

leedsunited:

What can you tie hooklengths with , can it be anything

Can you tie it with ordinary mono line or is there special hooklength material

Is this got to do something in your carp fishing?

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/