Red Hardy Thing

Elton

Posted on behalf of Steve. Please add all replies to this thread:

I have 2 red, 4"/10mm, wood, weighted things with 2 rings that say Hardy, Alnwick, England on them. What are they?

Any ideas? Thank you

2ccot2v.jpg

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

a japanese punk?

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

Steve,

Have to "see" them to have much more than a guess. I'd bet they have to do with flyfishing. My knee jerk is that they are fly line to leader cast connectors (?) (certainly a guess).

My guess really doesn't make sense if they are four inches long and with a 10mm wooden - ball that is really odd (?). Maybe the sea guys have a guess. Re-reading the dimensions and looking at the picture I've surely read the size wrong. Others ???? help me out.

How about "bite indicators"(?). Fluff chuckers have a lot of really weird stuff. I'd think "fluff chucking" for a guess.

Phone

'Otters'!, as in a device that is used to assist with freeing snagged lures!

I was going to say the same.....I was just worried people wouldn't take me seriously!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

If youse guys are pulling my leg - - it's working. How does it work?

Phone

The idea Phone, is that the otter is a device that you clip to your line if you get snagged. It used to be used a lot with silk lines, both fly and general braided spinning lines due to the cost of the line.

With the otter clipped on you release it into the water (with a separate line attached to it just in case the line does break and then you can retrieve your otter!) and it gets carried by the current . You can adjust speed and the direction slightly by use of the extra line and the idea is to get a belly in the fishing line with the otter downstream of the snag to try and put pressure on from a different angle. Obviously you often have to let reel line out as well. Some are weighted, others are not. I've seen canvas ones, wooden ones and metal cone types. I've used plastic bags as a type of otter in the past!

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!