Fishing in North London

BoozleBear

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anybody had good advice on where to fish in North London. I like fishing for Pike and Tench mainly.

I am getting bored of the canal near Kings Cross and Camden as the setting isn't exactly picturesque and the illegal immigrants catch a load of fish in the evenings and eat them so numbers are shrinking. Last time I caught a Pike there was 5 visits ago in October!

My car died so the location needs to be on / near public transport.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Boozlebear.Im a south londoner,so dont know north london that well.How about Walthamstow Reservoirs at Tottenham,assume they are open during the close season.Would imagine they are on main bus or rail links from your area.There is also the Copper mill stream that runs through the complex,although it would be closed until June 16th.

Chuby

Hi BoozleBear

If you can get to Liverpool Street station the lines to Hertford and Bishops Stortford run pretty well along the Stort and Lea Valleys and all the adjacent gravel pits which should accommodate any style of fishing which takes your fancy.Have a look at the Lea Valley Park site for some more information. If you want any more information on other fisheries let me know.

Enfield lock on the lee navigation is open during the close season and there is a bus that goes near it from Enfield town, the flowing section of river that runs next to it looks lovely and i will be back there after the 16th of June.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

• 3 years later...

As theres a couple of new N Londoners on AnglersNet since this was first posted I wondered if anyone had any further suggestions ?

Somewhere suitable with only public transport and Shanks' Pony available to them.

I usually fish Hampstead Heath or Jacks Lake In Endfield.

Tony

As others have said the lea is a good option. The river/canal is a short walk from the stations at Broxbourne, Rye house, St Margarets, Ware and Hertford. Or you could change trains at Broxbourne and fish the Stort, which is a short walk from Harlow station.

If you want to come out this way give me a shout and I'll help you out.

Another vote for the Lee here. All species of fish and parts of it are quite picturesque in a "ocean of greenery in the middle of concrete" way too. There are tench but you are more likely to be better off going after bream and carp. Pike fishing is generally fair and there are some decent perch too. Easy to get to on public transport. Tottenham Hale tube station is 5 minutes walk from Tottenham Lock or a bit further up you've got Enfield Lock on the overground.

Another alternative would be the River Roding at Buckhurst Hill although I've not fished it for a few years there used to be some good fish in there.

Edited by Unimexsol

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anybody had good advice on where to fish in North London. I like fishing for Pike and Tench mainly.

I am getting bored of the canal near Kings Cross and Camden as the setting isn't exactly picturesque and the illegal immigrants catch a load of fish in the evenings and eat them so numbers are shrinking. Last time I caught a Pike there was 5 visits ago in October!

My car died so the location needs to be on / near public transport.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon

Try Aldenham Resevoir in Elstree, not too far from N london , loads of pike in there, cheap day ticket , I havent been there for about 4 years now , I have moved , I saw a guy get a 26 1/2 pike , biggest one I ever seen .

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.