What are the best places to catch a Zander?

Snakehead

But with the negative (if realistic) tone of the responses, don't be surprised if Snakehead decides to post elsewhere...

I really tried not to be negative! I honestly don't think such a place exists. Even the 'prolific' venues on the continent require a fair amount of knowledge (esp local knowledge) and experience.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to know what are the best places to go and catch Zander? I am interested in an easy water with a good chance fo catching lots of them during the day. A good runs water would be my first option but happy to have information on more difficult waters. I am not bothered about the size but it would be good if a bag of them would have a few doubles but dont mind if the average stamp is five to eight pound.

Location is not an issue as willing to travel to waters that guantee plenty of action. What are the best locations for your top ten bag up Zander venues?

I would rather not wait to long between bites.

whats the hurry to catch one

is it for easter?

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

Zander are also very delicate. They are the same as their younger mates the Perch and like to gobble the baits down. But it is worse much worse because they have such small mouths. Trying to un hook a deep hooked Zander is like a fragile operation and it makes a deep hooked Pike or Perch childs play because of that small mouth. You can’t go through the gills either. I soon switched over from double trebles to then a single treble and then the old DB hooks. A barb on one to hold the bait and the other barbless to hook the fish. Useless for live baiting but then I do not live bait anyway for them. So much easier. Yes i lost a few than i would have on a treble but better that than kill the fish with deep hooking.

But they are an extraordinary fish to catch over here, there is something distinctive and diverse to anything we have.

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

I wasnt being negative. Just having a laugh with Dales :D

Seems there isnt enough light heartedness about the forums these days. Its all doom and gloom as angling 'comes to an end' for us all with the various threats being discussed. I for one plan to get out this weekend and prove to myself again that there dont seem to be any major problems in my area. ;)

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I wasnt being negative. Just having a laugh with Dales :D

It beats arguing which is the way most threads seem to go at the moment.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

It beats arguing which is the way most threads seem to go at the moment.

No they dont. ;):D

Very true. I dont mind a good discussion but getting personal can be a bit daft sometimes. Maybe it is just the winter blues with some people not getting out as much as they would like and getting grumpy lol. I would say that the main cause of arguments that i have seen so far has been carp and otters and disagreements over them.

Dales and ATS I see one obvious flaw in your master plan, Do you really think your want to be Zed heroes are going to want to get off their PC's or PS3's and come all the way over to the lake for a photo session? Your going to have to take the Zed to them boys....................

Oh and dont start arguing with me........

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Dales and ATS I see one obvious flaw in your master plan, Do you really think your want to be Zed heroes are going to want to get off their PC's or PS3's and come all the way over to the lake for a photo session? Your going to have to take the Zed to them boys....................

Oh and dont start arguing with me........

So some sort of mobile fish transportation is required, it's all starting to sound like hard work :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

So some sort of mobile fish transportation is required, it's all starting to sound like hard work :D

I think by far the best thing you can do in the interest of fish safety and the environment in general is

Wait for it

Pretend to catch them.

Post about what you have caught in a confident manner and get your armchair mates to back you up and a fishing hero you will become.

You can the spread your prowess to many other species after all you will not be the first one here to do such a thing and will probably fool many. :D

John

Post about what you have caught in a confident manner and get your armchair mates to back you up and a fishing hero you will become.

You can the spread your prowess to many other species after all you will not be the first one here to do such a thing and will probably fool many. :D

I am sure no-one on here would do that.

Speaking of which though I was out last night (all real tree'd up) fishing with some pukka sea deads on my local canal and had a 36lb Zander. Couldnt take any photos as the bugger munched my camera as i tried to get it out but Dales can back me up. He also had a 9lb roach but he is far too modest to post it on here. He said he doesnt want the attention. ;)

Edited by AddictedToScopex