ZoneAlarm Problem With Microsoft Update

Elton

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll bear this in mind tonight since my PC fell offline after the last M$ update on Tues. Due to being out of the house whilst a new bathroom is fitted I haven't been back online from home again yet, but will do so later on tonight.

<edit>

That didn't help, I still have to run zonealarm at medium to get it to connect to the internet at all. Off on hols soon though, so I'll worry about it when I get back.

Rob.

Edited by RobStubbs

I suppose there is the worrying implication that yet again, Microsoft have created a "fix", that forces people to abandon third party software and use their own. I'm not sure what they would have to gain by it, but I'm sure somebody will suggest something.

It looks as if I will have to go back onto my router now. I abandoned it because my modem nearly always gives me faster connection speeds.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I can't help but wonder how many hours have been spent by how many people uselessly talking to far away Indians, or dragging their PCs back to PCWORLD.

Or how many people simply still haven't a clue as to why they are unable to access the Internet now.

Or how easy it would be for nearly every computer in the world to stop on the same day due to an MS patch (or something that discovers how to pretend to be an MS patch - :eek:!).

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Steve- You are correct. If you are behind a router you should be ok. Most routers you have to turn on the option to respond to a port sweep. If you aren't make sure you turn on windows firewall before turning off the other. You should never be without some sort of protection.

Err you can fiddle with firewalls when off line so no need to worry. My Windows firewall is orking fine. I didnt uninstall ZA i just switched it off on startup

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Steve - as noted, you simply need to make sure you only have one software firewall running at any given time if you are connected to the internet and even then you are safe enough for a few minutes if you aren't browsing so

- download Windows OneCare

- close browser

- disable ZA

- install Windows OneCare

You can protect up to 3 PCs with a single license and having OneCare running on auto has done a perfect job of protecting all 3 of ours since we first installed it. I enjoy free stuff but I don't mind paying for this one.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Steve - as noted, you simply need to make sure you only have one software firewall running at any given time if you are connected to the internet and even then you are safe enough for a few minutes if you aren't browsing so

- download Windows OneCare

- close browser

- disable ZA

- install Windows OneCare

You can protect up to 3 PCs with a single license and having OneCare running on auto has done a perfect job of protecting all 3 of ours since we first installed it. I enjoy free stuff but I don't mind paying for this one.

Never heard of windows 'one care' - what is it ?

Rob.

Or how many people simply still haven't a clue as to why they are unable to access the Internet now.

I was on the phone to a mate last night and asked him if he'd seen something online. He mentioned that he hadn't been able to access the internet all day.

It took me two seconds to 'fix' it for him :(

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Would I be right in assuming ZA is freeware?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic