Confused on lure/spinning striking

fruitloopy

I went to a public water near me at 9pm last night hoping that the perch were feeding.

Boy, they certainly were! I cast a lure in that floats and dives when you reel in and as soon as it hit the water something dived on it! I struck but didnt hook it.

I cast again, another rugby tackle of the lure and this time I thought I hooked it but it came off within a couple of seconds.

Cast in again, hooked it and reeled back what felt about a 1lb to me but lost it again.

I am not sure when to strike when casting a lure or spinner. I have read when pike fishing that you should give it a chance to turn with the bait otherwise it will not hook in the scissors. But if my line is tight from reeling in the lure how do I allow it to turn? I'm just using a normal fixed spool reel.

So if I am very sure its perch should I strike immediately?

I find that a 'strike' is often unnecessary when spinning for perch. For pike, I like an erratic retrieve and a strike whenever anything hits the lure/wobbled bait, but for perch I've always done better with a steady retrieve and just keep reeling until one hits it and holds on. A lot of the time they nip at it giving lots of little 'plucks' - just keep reeling and one'll hang on eventually.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Thanks guys, that makes perfect sense. I would try it again tonight but its currently pi**ing it down so I dont think I will!

Can you recommend some lures for perch? The place I am fishing is rather weedy so something thats close to the surface would be ideal.

I tend to go with sharp hooks and just a tighten up to perch. A hard strike will easily tear the soft membranes of the mouth and not only does this damage the fish, it allows the hooks to fall out.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I have to agree with Ken about the soft membrane in a perch's mouth. Striking is also something I've never done with anything other than jerkbaits or crankbaits. Almost all straight retrieve lures require no 'strike' from the angler to achieve a hookup. Use a size 1 Mepps and you cannot go wrong.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Thanks guys, that makes perfect sense. I would try it again tonight but its currently pi**ing it down so I dont think I will!

Can you recommend some lures for perch? The place I am fishing is rather weedy so something thats close to the surface would be ideal.

Small spinnerbaits....great for weedy situations and brilliant fish catchers

I went to a public water near me at 9pm last night hoping that the perch were feeding.

Boy, they certainly were! I cast a lure in that floats and dives when you reel in and as soon as it hit the water something dived on it! I struck but didnt hook it.

I cast again, another rugby tackle of the lure and this time I thought I hooked it but it came off within a couple of seconds.

Cast in again, hooked it and reeled back what felt about a 1lb to me but lost it again.

I am not sure when to strike when casting a lure or spinner. I have read when pike fishing that you should give it a chance to turn with the bait otherwise it will not hook in the scissors. But if my line is tight from reeling in the lure how do I allow it to turn? I'm just using a normal fixed spool reel.

So if I am very sure its perch should I strike immediately?

I've seen something about perch nipping and prey fishes tails, and even biting them off to immobilise the prey. Then they can take them at their leisure. This was part of the reasons for putting red wool or something red on the treble.

Just want to say thanks again for the advice, I went to the small lake I mentioned in my first post. It was difficult as the water is still fairly weedy and this just ruins any presentation, wobble or spinning action that a spinner or lure would give. Unless I use a floating lure it comes back smothered in weed.

However on one trip back the lure must have found a clear path and about 18 metres out I had something hooked. I didnt strike, I just held on and slowly reeled in. I was beginning to think this would be a lovely size Perch but then the familiar long slim camouflaged back popped up and I realised I had got a pike. I had assumed there was only Perch in there.

A couple of minutes leter a nice, violently annoyed 3lb Jack was in the net. The net was a bad idea but because of the high bank I could not get to him otherwise. I ended up having to cut the lure out of the net.

I tried again with a luminous floating lure as it was dark and had another hit, lost him after a few seconds though.

Cheers. :D