Software Update - Lost Connection

I recieved an automatic software update earlier today for my XP desktop system.

After the system restart, although the system seemed to be connected OK wirelessly through the router, none of the programs that act as servers (Skype, AOL, MSN etc) was able to connect to the Internet.

(No problems at all with my Vista Laptop, using the same wireless connections).

Spent a long time with a Netgear Indian who basically confirmed that everything seemed to be OK, the problem was with my system.

So I did a system restore to before the update was applied and now everything works OK!

Not sure whether something went askew when the software update was being applied, or it was something within the changes encompassed by the update, so thought I'd better warn, and would be interested if anyone else has this problem, or knows what the problem was.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Peggy couldn't get onto the internet at all on her computer after an update this morning, although mine was fine.

In the end she found that some of the security settings had been changed. I think that making her home page a trusted site solved the problem completely.

Peggy's out at present but if I've got this wrong I'll get her to post a correction.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Peggy couldn't get onto the internet at all on her computer after an update this morning, although mine was fine.

In the end she found that some of the security settings had been changed. I think that making her home page a trusted site solved the problem completely.

Peggy's out at present but if I've got this wrong I'll get her to post a correction.

Yes Steve's right. My computer was showing as connected to the wireless and Steve's laptop which runs Vista was fine. After much head-scratching and checking Zone Alarm which was fine, the only thing that I could think of was that there was a security setting problem as the update was a Windows security one.

When I checked it out I found that all my trusted sites had been cleared out. I then put in my homepage and it loaded and everything else then worked.

I spoke to my brother about it later and he confirmed that this does happen when Windows updates their security and the thing to do is to re-enter one of your trusted sites. It then seems to clear the problem.

Darned annoying as I lost over an hour sorting this out. :wallbash:

Classic Fishing Books www.classicfishingbooks.co.uk 100s of fishing books for sale/wanted + reviews

Wingham Fisheries www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm Gravel pit syndicates in Kent. 2008 Forum Fish-In Sat May 17 to Mon May 19. For what happened in 2007 see http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=75031

Paperweights Plus www.paperweightsplus.com Off the shelf and customised paperweights

While not a fix Leon, apparently this is what was driving the update but I still think it has something to do with the way your browser sends and receives acknowledgements. Did Peggys fix work?

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

While not a fix Leon, apparently this is what was driving the update but I still think it has something to do with the way your browser sends and receives acknowledgements. Did Peggys fix work?

I don't think that my setup supports 'Trusted sites' (AOL)

This is what it says on the Zonealarm website

http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/home.jsp

Sudden loss of internet access - Microsoft Update KB951748 is known to cause loss of internet access for ZoneAlarm users.

We recommend that users uninstall KB951748 using "Add or Remove Programs" until the issue is resolved.

Elton came up with this:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20759839-...neAlarm-PROBLEM

Restoring the PC to a checkpoint before the update did work, but then I tried reinstalling it, uninstalling Zone Alarm and downloading and re-installing ZoneAlarm, but the Zonealarm website returned an error when I tried to download. Hopefully that will be fixed tomorrow.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust