Not sure what to make of this

Ken L

Religion is a bit like Santa Clause. When you grow up you realise what a load of bunkum it all is.

Religion is responsible for more deaths than the Bubonic plague.

The Church of England is a religion founded in bloodshed and murder.

If Genesis is accurate how did we populate a planet from 2 without incest?

If Genesis is to be believed is Eve not a genetically altered cloned version of Adam?

Why is it that Christianity, Judaism and Islam all come from the same source says many of the same things yet the religions are seemingly at war with each other?

Religion should be banned...permenantly.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Genesis is accurate how did we populate a planet from 2 without incest?

If Genesis is to be believed is Eve not a genetically altered cloned version of Adam?

It sounds to me that one has never read Genesis.

The incest you allude to is fully documented.

It depends what Adam and Eve story you want to "believe", there are two in Genesis, one where God makes Eve from one of Adam's ribs and the version where God makes Eve the same way he made Adam.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

It sounds to me that one has never read Genesis.

The incest you allude to is fully documented.

It depends what Adam and Eve story you want to "believe", there are two in Genesis, one where God makes Eve from one of Adam's ribs and the version where God makes Eve the same way he made Adam.

@Cory. If you are of faith I hope that you have not taken insult, indeed I do not wish to insult anyone of faith.

I personally have no belief at all in any of it.

I have read Genesis. The version I have read is the one where Eve is created from a spare rib.

I had honestly no idea there was another version so a link would be nice.

Incest is supposedly a Sin?

Anyway, understanding genetics, there would be so many fatal mutations from such close inbreeding as to make the story impossible.

I think religion was created so that the uneducated masses could be subjugated and cowed. Tell a Man he will burn for eternity, for fire is something that even the most stupid can understand, and you have complete control. Perhaps this is why the supposed expulsion from Eden after eating from the tree of knowledge took place. Religion has been bastardized by those in power.

Indeed wasn't the first Bible written by a Roman?

I look at religion and see the brutality of religion.

From the Inquisition to the Witch trials to the butchering of Catholicism to create the Church of England.

How many peaceful persons were killed in the name of religion?

i guess your not on about CofE funding but "other" religions

we go to war to stop Islamic training grounds but under our nose..............................

believe me theres just as many weird christian "training centres" spouting rubbish as well

They all spout rubbish but the sectarian christian schools in Northern Ireland and parts of Scotland are pretty bad. Muslim schools probably have the worst potential though. There was an expose of a private muslim school a while back and some of the stuff they were teaching was horrific.

It depends what Adam and Eve story you want to "believe", there are two in Genesis

There are more than that. There is is of course Adam's first wife Lilith which although fairly well expunged from canon is still referenced in Isaiah 34:14 due to a bit of dodgy editing.

Plenty of references to her still exist in older documents such as the dead sea scrolls though.

Don't bother looking in your King James version though because in that translation, she becomes a "screech owl".

I have read Genesis. The version I have read is the one where Eve is created from a spare rib.

Compare:

Genesis 1:27 "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them."

with

Genesis 2:21–22 "And God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; And the rib, which God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man"

Mind you, of the two I prefer your version where "where Eve is created from a spare rib"

Now that's a Friday night! Beer, Chinese, woman......

Realisticly though, this is fine example of how poisonous religion is in schools. I was taught that men had one less rib than women at school and it wasn't until after I finnished my education (Which included A level biology) that I discovered that this was yet another pernicious religious lie.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

@Cory. If you are of faith I hope that you have not taken insult, indeed I do not wish to insult anyone of faith.

I personally have no belief at all in any of it.

Incest is supposedly a Sin?

Anyway, understanding genetics, there would be so many fatal mutations from such close inbreeding as to make the story impossible.

I think religion was created so that the uneducated masses could be subjugated and cowed. Tell a Man he will burn for eternity, for fire is something that even the most stupid can understand, and you have complete control. Perhaps this is why the supposed expulsion from Eden after eating from the tree of knowledge took place. Religion has been bastardized by those in power.

Indeed wasn't the first Bible written by a Roman?

I look at religion and see the brutality of religion.

From the Inquisition to the Witch trials to the butchering of Catholicism to create the Church of England.

How many peaceful persons were killed in the name of religion?

No I'm not "of faith". Guess what that big red "A" in my Atavar signifies ;)?

Both creation myths, with and without rib are in Genesis. One version is in Genesis chapter 1, the other in the first 3 verses of Genesis Chapter 2.

Show me where in the Bible where it says that incest is a sin.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Normally I would agree with you on the banning aspect Corydoras however where religion is concerned the fewer centres for brainwashing kids they have the better in my opinion so I would make an exception in this case.

To put that another way, you think that everyone should be exposed to things you approve of and denied knowledge of things you do not approve of. To put it yet another way, you want to ban things you don't approve of but don't want to allow banning of things you do approve of.

That's the flip side of what the religious folk think and are doing.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

In my school when you get to year 10 you have to pick 3 subject you want to do. you have to take English, Maths, Science, IT, A language ( in my case Spanish), and religious. I have Religious more times in two weeks than 1 off my chosen subjects History. Plus religious is only half a GCSE, so to be honest i would rather revise for history than religious. Plus one of the teachers is very religious and he is christain. In class we wore debaiting one what we thought of christianity and this is how the convasation went:

Me- "I am not religious sir"

Sir- "give me a good reason why"

Me- "Because non of my family are"

Sir- "Not good enough give me your opinion on the birth of jesus, and why you dont believe it."

Me- "well i dont think the story of the 3 wise men is true".

Sir- "why"

Me- " In the bible it said that the wise men wore in the fields looking after their lambs when they sore the star"

Sir- "go on"

Me - Well sir Jesus was born in late December in the winter and lambs are not born until spring".

sir- "No there born in winter, so dont try that one on me."

me- "No i am sure they are born in spring"

Sir- "No"

Me- "Yes!"

He then gave me a half hour detention for arguing. I told the head teacher what had happened and she let me of. So what is the point of teaching RE if teachers (or at least mine) are propared for other peoples views.

Again these are my views.

Edited by jack1432

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and i'm not sure about the universe". (Albert Einstein)

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head, thats assault, not leadership". (Dwight D. Eisenhower)

"Some people claim that marriage interferes with romance. Theres no doubt about it. Anytime you have a romance, your wife is bound to interfere". (Groucho marx)

Are you saying that your RE teacher is using his position to preach Christianity to you?

Interesting argument, but November and December lambing seasons are accepted practice.

Going back to the original post, I would agree that RE should be taught in all schools, but only in an objective and agnostic manner and should cover all mainstream religions.