Paddle Round the Pier Charity Open

underwaterimage

Firstly, a huge thankyou to everyone who came to fish and made this event a resounding success. Once again the angling community have done us proud.

It involved a lot of work and effort, not just in getting baits and making a long journey in some cases, but gathering such a fantastic sum in sponsorship. Nick Power deserves particular mention for effort here, not only for raising an incredible £230, rather for the manner in which he achieved it...... something about "dressing up" down his local and THEN threatening to undress to get more- amazing determination

I'm glad to report very few people blanked and 11 anglers managed to make three figure points totals in this catch and release competition. Species caught included Smoothhound, Bass, Pout, Eel, Sole, Thornback, Plaice, Bream, Whiting and Mackerel.

Coming in at third with 445 points was ALAN MITCHEL, Second with 619 points was STEVE PALMER but first with an excellent 729 points and the winner of the magnificent PRTP TROPHY by master trophy maker Mike Shorer is :- JAY WELLFARY

Well deserved after losing his rod and having his reel smashed by a particularly frisky smoothhound (luckily retrieved and the fish landed on a size 4 hook!)

A trip back to the next day for Jay for the presentation where he'll be joined by JAMES DYER, the drawer of the raffle ticket for the superb Perception Fishing Kayak (www.perception.co.uk) - we'll be expecting to see the fishing photos from many years of safe and successful angling from it I hope.

Smoothhounds made the bulk of the points over all, though there was some determined eel angling by Robin and pout angling by defending champion Simon Pickles from opposite ends of the arm. I will leave individuals to tell their own stories but I hope everyone enjoyed the experience.

The anglers raised a staggering £1400 which goes to the central Paddle Round the Pier Charity Fund. The main paddle event held in Brighton & Hove raised £20,000 and still counting. This is despite extremely poor weather.

The PRTP charities are the real winners, with all money to be split equally between RNLI, Chestnut Tree House (childrens hospice) and Surfaid International

I never dreamed when i created this comp that we would raise so much cash.

Finally, but certainly not least, I'd like to thank all those who generously sponsored us;

Perception Kayaks, The Tackle Box, Lagoon Bait and Tackle Hove, Prime Angling Worthing, Dvice Products, PENN, Mike Harwood's customers, Dragon Signs (Mighty Bright rod tape makers), Compass Marine Lancing, Gardiner and Scardifield Lancing, Moonfleet Rigs and WSF.

.... without whom we could never make this happen.

HOPE TO SEE YOU NEXT YEAR and thankyou again

Best regards

Sean Clark

www.underwaterimage.co.uk

sean@underwaterimage.co.uk