Kindles

Elton

To answer the original question - I have a Kindle 3G, and I love it :)

have around 60 books on mine now, and use it almost exclusively for reading.

It's a completely different experience from reading from a backlit screen such as an Ipad, I always found long reading sessions on screens gave me eyestrain and headaches, but the kindle "feels" like reading from paper!

Battery life is great too, mine lasts almost a month between charges with the wi-fi switched off, and just over a week if I leave it switched on, but you really just need to flick it on when you want to d/load a new book and then back off again.

Mat

Mat

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought my wife a Kindle for Christmas 2010, she loves it.

Apart from reading books on it, I email her recipes to it so she can reference it when baking instead of pieces of paper everywhere!

mmmmmm.....cookies....mmm.....cakes

Edited by Maddog

Colin
My Website

My Blog (mostly Match Fishing)

How many here now use Kindles for reading their books?

The reason I ask is that I'm just researching the latest releases on Amazon and there are a lot on Kindle these days.

I still haven't bought one, mind you!

I can see the idea behind them but still like the old fasioned paperback which I have found usefull on occasion for the following uses: can be traded / swapped (with mates, family, people at work or a 2nd hand bookshop), chucked in the bag for a day down the beach / pool etc without the fear of it getting wet/sandy/nicked, used as a coaster, used to level out a bedchair on one occasion, used as a weapon (against flying pests), used as a dinner tray, used as a note book, used as toilet paper in desperation, used to light a fearsome cooker (burnt fingers with matches).

I think I may have read a few in my time as well!

A positive aspect of a kindle / kindle app would be easy quick ref when on the bank, down the pub etc.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

To answer the original question - I have a Kindle 3G, and I love it :)

How dare you answer the original question? Don't you realise that this is the internet?!!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I can see the idea behind them but still like the old fasioned paperback which I have found usefull on occasion for the following uses: can be traded / swapped (with mates, family, people at work or a 2nd hand bookshop), chucked in the bag for a day down the beach / pool etc without the fear of it getting wet/sandy/nicked, used as a coaster, used to level out a bedchair on one occasion, used as a weapon (against flying pests), used as a dinner tray, used as a note book, used as toilet paper in desperation, used to light a fearsome cooker (burnt fingers with matches).

I think I may have read a few in my time as well!

A positive aspect of a kindle / kindle app would be easy quick ref when on the bank, down the pub etc.

your right;

id never trade my precious paper books for pure digital.

there is nothing like the feel and smell of a brand new print book...or the pleasure of finding a well thumbed book ive been searching for for years in the back of an old dusty book shop...but thats where my ipad also comes into its own....

i now dont have to damage my books in transit, dont have to worry about them getting wet or ripped or creased or just plain falling appart due to excesive wear and tear!

had a couple of paperbacks for xmas which are snuggled nicely on my bookshelves...but instaed of carting them about on holiday i simply got the kindle version as well! saves on luggae space and on damage to my books!

ok maybe im a freak but i hate to see a book with a creased spine, folded over pages etc

I'm a sod for dog-earing! I do try to look after my books though and you can't beat paper for reading off.

Trying to weigh up the pro's and con's of each tablet atm. May wait for the iPad 3 to come out as suggested and snap up a used iPad 2. Only problem is that I'm not going to be the only one!

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

I'm a sod for dog-earing! I do try to look after my books though and you can't beat paper for reading off.

Trying to weigh up the pro's and con's of each tablet atm. May wait for the iPad 3 to come out as suggested and snap up a used iPad 2. Only problem is that I'm not going to be the only one!

true.

my buddy here at work flogged his ipad 1 the day before ipad2 release and still got £300 for his ipad 1!LOL

thats £50 less than brand new ipad 2 price! makes you wonder

ipad 3 is faster cpu, higher res screen and possibly better camera judging by the rumour mill....but might be slightly thicker than ipad 2 to fit in new battery for all the tech goodness to run ok.

if your not fussed about having a camera then there really is very little obvious difference between ipad 1 and 2.

the ipad 2 runs games a bit better, loads a wee bit faster and you can use facetime etc but to be fair your talking seconds in loading speed; facetime is only useful if you have wifi coverage and someone else to facetime with and only a few games are programmed to make use of the better graphics quality of the ipad 2. so in the end your really paying for a thinner lighter ipad when you look at an ipad 2 instead of a 1.

if your planning to use an ipad for reading, surfing and bumming about on the river bank then an ipad 1 will be more than enough bang for buck! its a bit more sturdy and chunky as well.

grab a camera connection kit and you can slam your sd card into it to bring in video footage or pictures so even the lack of onboard camera becomes less jarring than it might.

in the next month you should see ipad 1 prices drop heavily 2nd hand. maybe even £50-70 drop!!

once ipad 3 is officially announced..early March is best guess....then you will see a glut of ipad 2 coming 2nd hand at maybe £250-300 and ipad 1 will drop accordingly

you might even see a price drop in brand new ipad 2..they dropped from original ipad price for release...so with ipad 3 arriving i would expect apple to slash maybe £50 off ipad 2 base model prices so they can bring ipad 3 in reasonably at £400

It'll be better for me to wait a bit, if only to see if the 'itch' persists...

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

once ipad 3 is officially announced..early March is best guess....then you will see a glut of ipad 2 coming 2nd hand at maybe £250-300 and ipad 1 will drop accordingly

you might even see a price drop in brand new ipad 2..they dropped from original ipad price for release...so with ipad 3 arriving i would expect apple to slash maybe £50 off ipad 2 base model prices so they can bring ipad 3 in reasonably at £400

Couldn't agree more. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the first generation iPads and they'll still be just as good when the iPad 3 is in the shops.

If you really want a new one though, keep an eye on the refurb section of the Apple store. The discounts can be pretty decent most of the time but there'll be a few weeks after iPad 3 is announced when they'll still be clearing out iPad 2s, most likely a bit cheaper still than they are right now. The stuff in there may, strictly speaking, be 'used' but it comes with a full Apple warranty and most of the time you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. (I'm still using an iPod I bought from the refurb store nearly nine years ago!) Oh, and you get 2% cashback on iPads from the Apple store if you're registered with Quidco too.

Edited by yorkio

I think they are great and would never consider buying a book ever again. All you ever need is available on line, the thought of turning pages in a book is so alien to me now. All I will ever need to know is available on line, books are history and a relic of the past. Online is where its at, type a question and all will be revealed. Down loading to your kindle is the future, no need for trees and paper any more. The power is at your finger tips, right?