The 3m Farce

Dick Dastardly

I wont mention names as its not my place to but Ive just heard on the grapevine that yet another "well known" pike angler has been prosecuted under the infamous "3m Rule".

Now its kind of ironic because he was one of a group of mates who used to fish the Fens with me and he was a bit anal about measuring out the same distance between rods when "spreading".He always did 10' gaps (not a lot compared to most) So that means instead of the rods all being within the 3m limit they would have been spread over 9m (ish) as he was using four.

So before I start ranting it would be interesting to hear what others think?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the usual issue that they seem obsessed with prosecuting the wrong people, sort of like the 2nd licence issue. To me it seems those that do not seem to be doing a lot wrong seem to be subjected to the most scrutiny and action.

If anything I think it is good practice to have your rods spread out along the bank and not all on a rod pod or very close together. Even if you do think it's a bad things to have your rods spread out, is it the worse "angling crime" :rolleyes:

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

It's the usual issue that they seem obsessed with prosecuting the wrong people, sort of like the 2nd licence issue. To me it seems those that do not seem to be doing a lot wrong seem to be subjected to the most scrutiny and action.

If anything I think it is good practice to have your rods spread out along the bank and not all on a rod pod or very close together. Even if you do think it's a bad things to have your rods spread out, is it the worse "angling crime" :rolleyes:

I agree totally with Dales.

They bring prosecutions like this and then wonder why they get little cooperation.

I have been told of a bailiff on the fens wanting to measure the distance between rods that appeared close to 3m.

John

Edited by John Weddup

It's the nitpicky rules that annoy me in angling. I was questioned once by a bailiff about the spacing of my rods. I was fishing a head land and had 2 rods going out in to the main part of the lake and one off to the side in a bay. There was no way they where over 3 metres apart but he still was not pleased with my spacing. What really got me narked was the fact that it was a water well known for people upping sticks and moving on when the bailiff does his rounds. I even pointed out why don't you go and pester those guys over the other side, his reply was "they will be gone by the time I get around there" :angry:

There does seem to be a thing against multi rod users or is it just they are less likely to do a runner and leave all there gear. So they are just easy targets and help tick a few boxs, it makes it look like action is being taken to sort out angling problems :rolleyes:

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I wont mention names as its not my place to but Ive just heard on the grapevine that yet another "well known" pike angler has been prosecuted under the infamous "3m Rule".

Now its kind of ironic because he was one of a group of mates who used to fish the Fens with me and he was a bit anal about measuring out the same distance between rods when "spreading".He always did 10' gaps (not a lot compared to most) So that means instead of the rods all being within the 3m limit they would have been spread over 9m (ish) as he was using four.

So before I start ranting it would be interesting to hear what others think?

Rules are rules, laws are laws. Dont do the crime if you cant do the time and all that lark.

We all break laws - how many can say they have not broken the speed limit on occasion?

How many then whine saying they are being singled out or dont the police have anything better to do when caught?

Easy targets? Yes - made so by the individuals own wrong doing.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Personally I think the 3m rule is a load of tosh, they encourage you to buy two licences and then want you to compress all your rods and lines into a confined space, usually resulting , if you are lucky enough to get a big lump, in the fish picking up one or more lines and increasing the risk of snagging the fish

I see nothing wrong in increasing the distances between the rods in order to make it more comfortable for the angler to get amongst his/her rods and to comfortably net any said fish without banging or standing on any other rod or standing in precarious positions trying to net a fish just to appease the EA ruling. Sometimes when the rods are too close together, and that means inside of 3mts butt to butt, its bloody dangerous on steep slippy banks trying to get a decent foothold to play the fish before you even think about netting it

This is one of those archaic rules that some, not all , baliffs tend to enforce, some use their commonsense and others seem all out for brownie points and if there's a "star name" on offer then all the better. All that happens is that it drives a wedge between anglers legitimetly owning and fishing with two licences and the EA who turrn a blind eye to the runners and the gangs that they walk past without seeing.

It would make more sense to either repeal the 3m rule or and this probably makes more sense, to increase the maximum distances to something like 15 meters

Rules are rules, laws are laws. Dont do the crime if you cant do the time and all that lark.

I was more interested in peoples veiws re the rule to be honest not whether its right/wrong to break them.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

We all break laws - how many can say they have not broken the speed limit on occasion?

How many then whine saying they are being singled out or dont the police have anything better to do when caught?

Easy targets? Yes - made so by the individuals own wrong doing.

I can't say I'm that perfect to make a statement like that

I agree with that but there does seem to be a certain selectiveness in what rules get enforced and which anglers. There has to be a context in which a crime happens and how it compares to similar actions. How does fishing 4 rods spread out with an angler on hand compare to some one pegging out miles of set lines and popping back a days later to see if he has caught anything? To be honest I dont know what the punichments for both offecnes are but surely one is worse then another.

It's why I have no problem with one for the pot anglers, in the scheme of things how does that stake up against those using nets? And taken in the context of theft how is knicking fish compare with mugging some one and breaking in to there house to steal? I am all for enforcing the law but if you have limited time and resources surely they should be put in to dealing with the most serious crimes and you work on the worse offences and tier down the more resources you have. All I ever see if limited resources being used for quick and easy wins and with out knowing any details on this case my assumption is that over spacing your rods is not the worse crime in the world. If this sort of thing is worthy of enforcement then it looks like angling has very few problems or issues.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007

BUDGIE,

I too would be interested in the "function" of such a law? It it intended to keep other anglers from encroaching on your swim? Makes NO sense as it cannot possibly affect/effect the catch rate. No law you have to cast "straight out" is there?

What purpose could such a "law" possibly serve? IMO - and just that - it is a "bad angling practice" not to be in as close a proximity to your rods as possible.

Phone