The 3m Farce

Dick Dastardly

Is it the idea behind the rule that is a problem or is it the stipulated distance?

here in France you can go to most town ponds and you will see a local angler with 4 or 5 rods spread over 100 yards of bank. You won't see the angler because he will be 200 yards away chatting to his mate who is doing the same thing. Nobody cares because they are only fishing for stockie rainbows that are put in once a week. If they should happen to accidently catch something else then deep hooking doesn't matter because it will probably get tapped on the head anyway. (makes you wonder how there are any fish in France?)

The idea behind the rule is surely to stop this kind of behaviour where deep hooking would be a problem and I think most agree that it is a good thing.

The problem then seems to be what would be an appropriate distance to draw the line. That is debatable. What I don't think is acceptable is just to say that as it is unlikely you would get caught then it is OK to ignore it.

If I commit a burglary the statistics suggest it is unlikely that I would get caught but it would still be wrong

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like unnecessary rules and regulations to me are these based on traditions or is there valid reasons for this set distance?

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

What I don't think is acceptable is just to say that as it is unlikely you would get caught then it is OK to ignore it.

If I commit a burglary the statistics suggest it is unlikely that I would get caught but it would still be wrong

Mmm, I bet you've done a wee-wee or poo-poo at the side of the bank or behind a bush somewhere...it's not allowed by law you know ;):lol:

The club your waiting to join is pretty keen on that along with all other rules and reg's, so brush up on the rules when you get in ;) .

Yeah I think I have to get reading up. At least I have a year left to brush up ;)

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Mmm, I bet you've done a wee-wee or poo-poo at the side of the bank or behind a bush somewhere...it's not allowed by law you know ;):lol:

how do you maintain resposability over your rods when you are in ths bushs?

do you need to measure 3 metres from butt of your rod to your other butt :lol:

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

Brian,

I would challenge this statement, "I always have proper control over my rods". How can you say this, are the fish you catch trained?

I agree with Poledark, (dangerous for him) that

BUDGIE,

Now I'm confused. Your statement in post #18 seems to conflict with your earlier statements. Are you now saying they must be "exactly" 3m - and no more? Can they be closer? That's what I thought you were saying in the beginning. They cannot be quite close to one another. I was wrong - huh?

Phone

Edit: As an afterthought - where must the measure take place. Tip? - butt? - elsewhere?

See Brians post #27 mate.

In fact here it is as worded by the EA-

When fishing with multiple rods and lines, rods must be placed such that the distance between the butts of the

end rods does not exceed three metres.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Brian,

I would challenge this statement, "I always have proper control over my rods". How can you say this, are the fish you catch trained?

I agree with Poledark, (dangerous for him) that

BUDGIE,

Now I'm confused. Your statement in post #18 seems to conflict with your earlier statements. Are you now saying they must be "exactly" 3m - and no more? Can they be closer? That's what I thought you were saying in the beginning. They cannot be quite close to one another. I was wrong - huh?

Phone

Edit: As an afterthought - where must the measure take place. Tip? - butt? - elsewhere?

Are you trying to say that whenever you go fishing that you're not in control of your rods?, strange as I'm always in proper control of mine

Tigger, you should know by now that I don't have to do that sort of thing. I have a man who does it for me ;)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

In specific circumstances I regularly use flourocarbon when according to the rules I should be using wire. I don't feel bad about that at all because in that case all the rule achieves is to prevent me from fishing effectively.

That's not the same as saying I always use flourocarbon, or never use wire.

Same in this case, and plenty of other examples. If I do get caught and told off, well that's fair enough, I know very well what I'm doing.

In some circumstances in fishing, most 'catch-all' rules hit grey areas where they do not apply in any practical sense, even if they do in a legal sense. Unlike real laws that are in place to protect society and the individual, which in most cases do apply all the time - like don't go burgling other people's houses.

It's equally possible to have your rods right next to each other and not be in control of them, as it is to have them spaced out and be in full control of them. The law states you shouldn't do that, so if you decide that makes no sense in your specific circumstance and ignore it, you need to accept the chance of getting caught.

With the amount of enforcement of fishing related laws (i.e. virtually none) I see no benefit in trying to get them changed to be honest!

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music