The 3m Farce

Dick Dastardly

I think that the most sensible aproach to this is not so much as how far apart rods are spaced, but more about the terrian. I can think of places wher it would be ok the be in the middle of 4 rods set out over a 10m frontage. Open gravel shorelines with no hinderence to getting to any of the rods. Alternately there are places so tight that it would be difficult to place only 2 rods in a 3m frontage.

I never have more than 2 pike rods out, and they are usually on a pod. Very occasionally I take a feeder rod with me, but always bring on of the pike rods in before using it. Sometimes I take a lure rod and a dead bait rod, with a couple of rests and alarms for the latter. I work lures a few paces either side of the deadbait, for about 20 mins to half an hour, not only fan casting to cover an arc in front of me but by using diferent types of lure and counting down to fish the different levels, then moveing every thing on, it works for me and if I am sometimes more than the legally prescribed distance from the bait rod, then I don't worry too much

I don't neeed rules to enforce the number of rods I use, I wouldn't be comfortable with more than 2. My pet dislike in this aspect of our sport is sleeping with rods out, I don't mean cat napping in a seat, but activley getting into a tent and a sleeping bag.

We used multiple rods last sunday in order to cover distance and different baits using differend rigs, 6 rods out, but 3 anglers (me, my son and grandson), we worked to a plan, so every rod had its own approach. We blanked of course but the pikeing hasn't started in earnest yet!

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian,

Sorry, thought you were having a poke.

Still, (now in a more civil tone) exactly when is enough enough? Especially in terms of limited shared bank space. Remember, I am a carp fisherman.

Whilst you may have the experience and concentration to control multiple (exactly how many are allowed - I thought it was only 3?) rods but I honestly do not think you are a majority. You should hear the "new" Brits that immigrate to Canada (a one rod nation). As soon a they, first, catch fish, and second, realize they are on a level playing field the all seem to calm a bit. (Remember, I am mostly referring to carp anglers)

Would you stop fishing if you caught 1/4th as many fish if everyone else caught 1/4th as many fish?

Lastly, yes, I believe intrinsicly you, or anyone, does have a problem controlling multiple rods. Have you never had two fish at the same time twisted in the lines of the guy fishing the swim on the right and the swim on the left? If not, is it not possible? I have a serious issue with the thought of 'control'.

I'm really having a difficult time trying to understand how 3m helps. I bet there would be little or no issue with the top 5% of British anglers if it was 3.5. Know what I mean?

Phone

Brian, this is more of an addendum than a edit. You don't realize how accomplished the British are at bait fishing until you come over here. You really are some of the best I've ever witnessed. Not everyone can cast to fish at 3/4 of a mile (or whatever it is). BUDGIE and others who've fished in America can attest we are horrible range caster. I'm certain everyone who fishes in the UK is NOT born with this amazing ability. You cannot "regulate" to the "best of the lot". I've seen British ex-Pats who are taking up the home sport of CARP angling. What do you want us to do with the guy who throws his lead 130 ft straight up in the air? I honestly believe you have to regulate to what the "noddie newbie" can control.

This is just some insight into my position.

Edited by Phone

Personally I have nil sympathy with the four rod brigade who spread their rods out along the bank, especially those who then wander off to talk with their mates whose rods are similarly spaced out. The law is the law, unfortunately there is a cavalier and abhorrent attitude amongst many pikers that the law is there to be broken, it isn't, it's there to help protect our future sport, which generally is in decline across the country. No one has mentioned sportsmanship, groan, but to break the rules is not on, work within them. If, although unlikely, a record pike had been caught and had the laws been shown to have been broken would it be accepted as a record? Laws are in place to protect our sport, they also help provide a level playing field.

Edited by Peter Waller

Well I will put my two penny worth in.

I did not know about this judgment of distance but then I have been out of angling so long but it is not unpredicted I am not going to go off topic on should you have four rods or not as that is an exclusively different debate and not what the thread starter was asking for views on. I could Wright pages on my views but it is not the question in hand

So the distance, bare with me if I am out of sorts with the detail but this is the first I have heard about distance or any length but as the ruling is in my thoughts. I am guessing that the distance is perplexing and needs to be brought out of a very grey area But then it depends on the environment and time of year and how you are fishing and to a degree what for .

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

i though it was about the Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company ,strange how something you heard at 15 sticks in your head.

rules is rules if you go to the place where they are you follow them or it has consequences.

strangely people moan about having to produce their permit down the pond ,i ask them if i didn't and the chap next door didn't have one they would be the first to moan :rolleyes:

i agree some rules are stupid so get them changed or bite your tongue and accept them

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

i though it was about the Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company ,strange how something you heard at 15 sticks in your head.

rules is rules if you go to the place where they are you follow them or it has consequences.

strangely people moan about having to produce their permit down the pond ,i ask them if i didn't and the chap next door didn't have one they would be the first to moan :rolleyes:

i agree some rules are stupid so get them changed or bite your tongue and accept them

That is not the question chesters if i am reading it right. I am not questioning whether it be right or wrong but budgie wants to know the view on the distance between these rods. He is in no doubt abiding by the rules but is it a fair distance .

since when has life been fair ,if its 3 metres then its 3 metres it could easily be 2.5

you have a choice you chuck the bailiffs in the water and voice your objection on TV (you need a considerable amount of people wishing the same thing to get the effect) or just comply

to have more than two rods is a luxury my club only allows 2 rods and on one lake just one ,if i didn't like it i would leave the club or try and get the rule changed ,if more than 50% wanted it changed and if the club was run democratically it could be

Theres people out there to make rules ,rules run our lives and even our death ,rules are a fact of life today ,if you don't like them ignore them but there maybe consequences

not so easy with the EA but remember we pay some of their wages ,if enough caused a fuss t save face perhaps you may get 3.1 metres after all they are above you in the **** pile of life they make the rules

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Well my turn now as most of the points I wanted to discuss have now been raised. A confession first though,I have told a bit of a lie to get this thread started and no one has actually been caught,all though people have in the past and prosecuted. So sorry for that but it has served its purpose.

Well it seems that everyone has replied in much the same way I suspected. A great example of how "un united" angling is.

I cant believe how selfish and self righteous so many are!

First of all it grips me that people who either dont use multiple rod tactics or pike fish feel they can have the right to criticise! By all means have an opinion or disagree if you have experience of something but to take the moral high ground simply because you can?

This is how I see some of the facts that relate to this issue-

1, Pikers spread rods rather than "fanning them out"! as this indeed helps bite detection and so avoids deep hooking.

2, Number of rods used is an irrelevance with this issue.Four are allowed so four can be used.The practicality/"correctness"/"sporting ethic" of doing such is totally different issue and is as individual as each angler and situation so as such not possible to legislate.

3, The rule is basically brought in to back up (and help make enforcing easier) another rule ie-

10.Unattended rods

Confirmed 26th May 2001

Date of implementation 27th May 2001

Any person who leaves a rod and line with its bait or hook in the water unattended or so that the person shall be

unable at any time to take or exercise sufficient control over said rod and line shall be guilty of an offence

So basically what the "3m rule" is intended to do is ensure that an angler is in a position to be able to supervise and correctly monitor his rods at all times? Certainly not to restrict numbers of rods used or bank space taken up or enforce any form of "sporting ethic"?

So what are your opinions on this then (regardless of if you fish for pike,use multiple rods or think its sporting or not) Purely my interpretation of the "reason behind" the "3m rule"?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

But you can still have a view on it. Chesters with a union jack and the greatest leader we have ever had for freedom of speech and democracy then you have a right as Winston would say to doscuss the rule not on whether it is right or wrong but your views on it. my daughter who is a solicitor does not agree in hanging but i do but there is no reason why we can't discuss it?

Poor old winston is turning in his grave,,, :D;)

Well my turn now as most of the points I wanted to discuss have now been raised. A confession first though,I have told a bit of a lie to get this thread started and no one has actually been caught,all though people have in the past and prosecuted. So sorry for that but it has served its purpose.

Well it seems that everyone has replied in much the same way I suspected. A great example of how "un united" angling is.

I cant believe how selfish and self righteous so many are!

First of all it grips me that people who either dont use multiple rod tactics or pike fish feel they can have the right to criticise! By all means have an opinion or disagree if you have experience of something but to take the moral high ground simply because you can?

This is how I see some of the facts that relate to this issue-

1, Pikers spread rods rather than "fanning them out"! as this indeed helps bite detection and so avoids deep hooking.

2, Number of rods used is an irrelevance with this issue.Four are allowed so four can be used.The practicality/"correctness"/"sporting ethic" of doing such is totally different issue and is as individual as each angler and situation so as such not possible to legislate.

3, The rule is basically brought in to back up (and help make enforcing easier) another rule ie-

10.Unattended rods

Confirmed 26th May 2001

Date of implementation 27th May 2001

Any person who leaves a rod and line with its bait or hook in the water unattended or so that the person shall be

unable at any time to take or exercise sufficient control over said rod and line shall be guilty of an offence

So basically what the "3m rule" is intended to do is ensure that an angler is in a position to be able to supervise and correctly monitor his rods at all times? Certainly not to restrict numbers of rods used or bank space taken up or enforce any form of "sporting ethic"?

So what are your opinions on this then (regardless of if you fish for pike,use multiple rods or think its sporting or not) Purely my interpretation of the "reason behind" the "3m rule"?

YOU CHEAT....There was i sticking to the subject and now you blow me out of the water... :wallbash: