Update on my native tank

Andy_1984

tanks going swimmingly :D havnt had any fatalities at all and my roach, rudd, tench and gudgeon are getting on tremendously well and looking amazing. one of the rudd has had a growth spurt more than the others and rips food from my hand hanging on to it for dear life!, he's a big bully <_< he on occasion heards all the other roach, rudd into the corner near the over hanging (fake) plant i have. i cant seem to figure out why he does this. he will just take a notion to doing it once in a while.

the female beta is still alive and has found a comfy little spot under the filter and gets all excited and comes out when i sit at the tank. the gudgeon is also getting on great but doesnt really interact as much as the rest of the fish do when im over for a look but he's not shy taking food out my hand.

ive taken to feeding the tench and gudgeon by hand now and the roach,rudd get crushed up pond pellets (small amounts) they are just too frenzied a feeder for the tench and gudgeon to even get a look in.

ive also got rid off all the live plants as they were getting eatin left right and centre. last week i got some java moss thinking they would leave it alone, but no such luck. i spent ages carefully presenting and tying it on to my large pieces of driftwood and they ate the whole lot in about 5 hours. :angry:

green poop everywhere yet again. :lol:

ill get some pics up when i can as this works pc doesnt have a good editing software for images and the pics i have are 5mb+

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Native tanks are fun and looking forward to some photos.

Irfanview is a good photo editor unless you need to get really fancy. Dead easy to crop & resize photos and if you save at 70% quality, they will look as good online as 100% but be quite a bit smaller. Download and install the program then download and install the plugins.

Program http://download.cnet.com/IrfanView/3000-2192_4-10021962.html

Plugins http://www.tucows.com/preview/415586

800x600 is a good size for the forum since it won't spill over most laptop screens.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

thanks for the tip Newt but i ended up just using photoshop. This tank is a lot of fun when i was reading up about it over a year ago i was reading that it was hard but i disagree with all of that now and probably a heck of a lot easier to look after than most tropical fish.

theres also way more interaction from them than any tropicals ive seen, they feel like proper pets rather than just a fancy lookin fish tank in the corner of the room. the little zebra danios ive got in there just eat and get fat and run circles around each other, Yawn.

post-7003-1330085571_thumb.jpg

post-7003-1330085582_thumb.jpg

post-7003-1330085591_thumb.jpg

I can see why you're hand feeding, the tench and gudgeon look a little bit underfed and everything else looks fine and fat!

Maybe some sinking pellets (catfish food) in a little blockend swimfeeder would get food down to them?

i started hiding sinking pellets for the tench and gudgeon and it worked well, i would use a small clear pipe to get food down to the bottom and into little gaps that only the tench and gudgeon could get to. funniest thing though, the pipe was clear so the roach and rudd tried to get at the food on the way down :lol:.

once it was down there the roach and rudd had a hard time finding the hidden food and would circle around it constantly looking for it but the tench and gudgeon were clued up and found it in no time :)

i ran out of those sinking pellets as they were my 1mm betaine pellets for carp fishing. The new pond pellets i got float <_< im going to get something a little more suitable today. but the hand feeding is doing the tench wonders and since taking that pic(i think 2 months ago) he's filling out quite nicely. profile is much more tench like.

i dont think a small block end would be a great idea. the roach and rudd would bounce that thing all over the place trying to get the food out :D

if i was to start over again i think i would only have 2 roach or rudd in the tank they are just too fast when it comes to eating. where as the tench and gudgeon are generally slow eaters, they will take maybe 2 whole pellets and go hide until they have swallowed it completely then come back for more, roach could scoff 10 in that time easily. 5 are too many to have with a tench and gudgeon but im managing it with a strict feeding regime and constant attention.

Nice Andy.

I have Photoshop & Serif Photoplus but find myself using Iview for most of the day-by-day photo editing when I don't need layers or fancy manipulation.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• 2 weeks later...

bought more sinking pellets, little tiny ones and are perfect for the gudgeon. its put on more weight but the damn roach/rudd are finding them now....... yesterday i seen the gudgeon properly sticking its head right in to the gravel and having a right good rummage around. just when you thought you seen it all they surprise you :)

i got a wee bit worried about the Gudgeon the other day as it appeared to have 2 bits of gravel in its mouth and it didnt look like it was even attempting to get rid of them but they have gone now. should i be worried ?

I wouldn't worry about the gravel. The fish either spit it out or swallowed it and in either case, it is gone or going.

• 4 weeks later...

just took some new pics of the tench and gudgeon since feeding the sinking pellets. the gudgeon is a bit camera shy, one of the hardest fish in the tank to get a good photo of.

big noticible difference in the tench since i bought him and only a little difference in the gudgeon

post-7003-1333717916_thumb.jpg

post-7003-1333717923_thumb.jpg

post-7003-1333718093_thumb.jpg