Who represents us? A serious question!

Peter Waller

Please, who does represent us? Not only who, but how many of us does each organisation represent?

For example,

How many anglers does the NFA represent?

How many anglers does the SAA represent?

How many anglers does the NFSA represent?

Any ideas about the Trout & Salmon anglers?

Do we still have the NAA and how many does that represent?

Are there any other national bodies which represent significant numbers of anglers?

Let me explain, Charles Jardine of the CA & myself have been having a serious, reasoned and frank exchange of views on the matter of angling representation. Charles tells me that the CA represents 26,000 anglers, making it the biggest single body representative body within angling and therefore giving the CA the credibility to talk for its members. I don't doubt his claim that he represents 26,000 misguided(!!) anglers, but I do doubt his claim that it is the biggest single group representative body within angling.

I understand that, like the SAA, it has members such as Prince Albert AA and the Carp Society. These aren't individual members, just as not all the SAA or NFA members are actual individual members. What are the facts, anyone know?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in the north east we have the "tyneside anglers alliance" and the "wearside anglers alliance" both groups have seen the need to protect anglers fishing rights to local stretches of rivers and ponds. by negotiating with local councils, rents were agreed and then these fisheries were then leased out to local clubs for a small annual fee.any club belonging to the TAA or the WAA can then fish each others waters free.and are the major voice in the north east for north east coarse anglers fishing rights.

Peter,

I agree that the situation is totally confusing and not helped by the fact that the British disabled angling association (BDAA) has become the only voice for disabled anglers with Sport England. They currently have 4-5,000 members.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Okay Allibee, so I have! I wonder why ? As Kleinboet says the whole situation is confusing. Does the NAA still exist? Has the JAGB taken over the role of the NAA. Who actually does it represent? And how many does it represent? And if it is representative of UK angling then does the average UK angler know of its existance? To be brutally honest, apart from the announcement that it was to be formed, that was the last that I heard of it. So my next question is rather obvious! Is the JAGB active? And, sadly, that is a serious question!

Also quite an important point Peter, though its raking old coals so to speak... of all the so called representative bodies who claim to speak for 'us' who amongst them actively excercises their voice ? and by that I don't mean in the angling press or on forums such as this.

I'm afraid the answer IMO is the CA and Mr.Jardine, until someone else out there grasps the nettle.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Yes Peter, the Joint Angling Governing Bodies (recognised as such by Sport England as the governing bodies for the three angling sporting disciplines) comprising NFA, NFSA & Salmon & Trout is active.

As sports governing bodies they receive money from Sport England for sports development, ie education, child protection etc.

The JAGB members are also members of the National Angling Alliance, which politically represents and defends the interests of all anglers and fisheries. The NAA also includes the organisations that comprise the Moran Committee (SAA etc) and represents angling, angling trade and fishery interests.

Of course there are some players outside of NAA, and there is a move, backed by government to consolidate all interests into one organisation that can raise some serious funding (the AFA), and that is still being worked upon.

The JAGB members are also members of the European Angling Alliance ( http://www.eaa-europe.org/ )which brings together the different angling organisations of Europe.

See also http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/saa/structure.htm

What should be borne in mind is that these organisations only represent (and communicate with) their members. (Press releases are often issued to inform anglers more widely, but these are only published if editors feel like it).

They obtain political strength through the size of their (combined) membership, so it needs anglers to join and become invovled.

(It often used to amuse me at work how some would criticise the union, happy to take any benefits they won, but wouldn't pay a membership or play a part themselves, relying on their colleagues to do more than moan).

Tight Lines - leon

[ 27. August 2004, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust