Who represents us? A serious question!

Peter Waller

Leon, I guess there is some heavy representation going on behind closed doors with all of the above groups and bodies, maybe we are short of a spokesperson or focal point so that we can learn what is being done for us.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Leon. Its a sad indictment that I feel that I have to ask! I am actively involved in angling politics yet I was not aware of the facts as you have explained them. It IS confusing, and not a little amazing that we have the NAA and the JAGB and the Moran Committee. It is sad that only the Countryside Alliance is able to issue numerous press releases keeping people posted as to its activities.

hatchet,

The Wearside Anglers Alliance existed only to fish the lake at Penshaw - now defunct, with most of the monies collected having been refunded to the participating clubs. On the Wear we have the River Wear Fisheries Improvement Association, which loosely represents about 5000 anglers who fish the river, and is the only representative body on the river that the EA is currently supporting.

As for the C.A,I would think that the bulk of its angling membership were through the S&T Association

A correction about each club being able to fish each others waters; this never was the situation and over the years, at least within the T.A.A, has caused some clubs much concern. Members of T.A.A. affiliated clubs can fish T.A.A. controlled waters, but not the waters of other affiliated clubs.

As stated earlier, the W.A.A. was only formed to fish the, now fishless, Penshaw water. I believe that any remaining fish were transferred to a water close to Hetton.

Can't comment on the Tees area as they have always gone their own way. Sad really as compared to most other regions, the whole North East couldn't muster enough anglers to make one really effective organisation.

Tight Lines,

Wearyone

After all that, if we accept that the NAA still exists, then just how many anglers does it represent?

I'm just amazed that it is still in existance! I'm nearly lost for words, I really am. Here we have a body that claims to represent us, and I'm happy that it should, but its existance is near mythical!! Come on NAA, lets hear from you! This is the age of the computer and the world wide web for heavens sakes.

snotty:

Also quite an important point Peter, though its raking old coals so to speak... of all the so called representative bodies who claim to speak for 'us' who amongst them actively excercises their voice ? and by that I don't mean in the angling press or on forums such as this.

I'm afraid the answer IMO is the CA and Mr.Jardine, until someone else out there grasps the nettle.

You should see the documents that come across my 'desk' Snotty.

You'd be surprised at just how much effort is put in on behalf of all anglers to respond to government intiatives and consultations by the representative organisations.

And the meetings that have to be attended, usually by people taking time off from work, preparing and distributing documents, and paying their own expenses.

You go fishing and think that is a god given right. Not in this day and age it isn't!!

It's only the efforts of the underfunded few that keep the waters fit for fish and open for anglers to fish.

The vast majority of Britains 5-6 million anglers are happy to prattle on about anglers protecting the environment etc, but when it comes down to it, it's not that many who actually do anything but fish, happy to leave the graft to others.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Leon, I don't doubt work is going on but unless we get to hear about it how are we to know who to cheer on (or throw brickbats at if necessary).

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Leon, please be aware that myself, and I'm sure quite a few others, are well aware, and grateful, for the quite excellent work that you personally do for angling.

But please, you have your finger on the pulse, kick some arse for us plebian types. We want to know whats going on. We want to see life in our representative bodies. They owe it to us, they really do. How can anyone claim to be representative if those who are being represented are ignorant of the facts, ignorant of what is being done for them. We need to know, we need to have an avenue by which we can comment or respond.

snotty:

Leon, I guess there is some heavy representation going on behind closed doors with all of the above groups and bodies, maybe we are short of a spokesperson or focal point so that we can learn what is being done for us.

Recently NFSA sent out some information.

Malcolm Gilbert followed up with phone calls to anglers in the area to see who was prepared to help out a little.

Very few of those mailed even remembered getting the info!

To mail 5 - 6 million anglers would be a huge undertaking, and very very expensive, and probably not that effective.

Of course information is passed down from 'top' organisations to those organisations below, but that rarely makes it into group newsletters etc that individual anglers get.

Press releases are usually ignored by the angling magazines as too boring!

The NFSA (following the example set by SACN!) has started emailing members, but that in itself is a major and costly operation (unlike spammers who can afford the equipment, the software, and pay the techies to do it efficiently). For SACN it's a problem just keeping track of everyone's email address!

Then their are the websites, some good, some bad, some non-existent. But there's plenty of information and news available, only you need to go and find it.

Of course if the organisations had tens of thousands of pounds to spare, to spend on press and publicity, they could do a much better job, but that means many more anglers putting their hands into their pockets.

Let's see 5 million anglers in the UK (fresh&saltwater), each contributing a tenner to representative organisations thats ...... well enough to do the job. But that isn't happening.

Cue the proposal for a new unified funded body, that's being bounced about as we talk.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust