Is it worth taking a tele rod to Greece

Paulg

Hi all,

Going to Greece in a couple of weeks, staying on the western coast, opposite Corfu, small harbour village called Sivota.

Does anyone know if it is worth me putting in my tele-rod for a bit of sea fishing?

Thanks very much,

Paul

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds horrible, but the best place for mullet will be by the inevitable sewage outlet. Same everywhere on the Med and southern Europe. Best shoal of mullet I ever saw was in the middle of Lisbon.

Dusk the best time. Sweetcorn on the bottom, under a float works well, if you're fed up with small sea bream ripping your bread to bits. Once, in Menorca, I got a very slow bite on corn fished on the bottom. I struck into something very heavy and slow - I suspected a German scuba diver - but it turned out to be an octopus.

I think octupii (is that plural of octopus?) get turned on by the yellow end of the spectrum. ANother day on the same holiday I was talked into spending a day on the beach - my idea of hell. I took along a telescopic beachcaster, some frozen squid for bait, a bottle of vodka and a bottle of orange juice. I put the latter in a rock pool to keep cool. The fishing was hopeless so, after an hour, I decided a drink was called for. Reached for the OJ bottle and the bottle pulled back! The rockpool's resident octopus had wrapped itself around it. Yes, really. But I needed aq drink more than he did, so I won the tug of war.

I realise that hasn't got a lot to do with this thread, but it seemed funny at the time.

Oh, by the way, take some spinners if you're that way inclined. There are some predators around, too. Once, off the Canaries, I caught a fish that looked like a cod with a pike's head attached. Was it a young hake? I'm useless at identifying sea fish you're unlikely to catch off Cromer pier.

Best of luck.

Fenboy

Fished Kefalonia last year and found it pretty poor compared to other destination's.Did catch some mullet, Bass, Bream and a few weavers legering with a swim feader filled

with mashed prawn.Hook bait was either prawn or squid on a size 10.The locals prefer to float fish with some kind of paste moulded around a size 16 treble.In my experience Greek waters have far less fish than that of the spanish Islands and Canaries.I believe this is due to over fishing with Dynamite so it's best to ask a local(who are usually very helpfull ) to put you amongst the fish.

enjoy your holiday and good luck

hector

Looks like I'll be putting a rod in then....quite like the sound of float fishing in a harbour for Mullet as I've never caught one. Mind you, I think I might get some strange looks if I put my centrepin on!!

It seems like I'll have three bait choices, bread, prawns or squid, all of which I hope are fairly easy to obtain.

These weaver fish, are they easily recognisable? Anyone know a good web site with pics so I can do myself a little fish id booklet for anything I'm likely to catch?

Thanks,

Paul

Weaver fish are purple with a yellowish belly.

Also watchout for tompot blennys which are a stout little fish with a grumpy face. the same colour as stone/ mottled brown! The spikes on their dorsal are lethal to small kids! No longer than 6 inch.

the past the greeks used in cyprus was trout pellet paste and it was bagging plenty of fish, feeding trout pellets over the top.

there are tuna in the deeper waters if you get a chance go for them, they're great fun.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Sounds promising. We depart for Crete in 4 weeks and I will take a fly rod and a lure rod, plus a few floats etc.

Good luck to all those going on hols with their rods.

cheers