Is it worth taking a tele rod to Greece

Paulg

The comments about the Mullet are worth following up, but make sure you have a good ( no make that great ) clutch on your reel or use a centerpin. Line 5 to 6lb with a size 12 to 8 hook. Take care which bread you use, the cheapest sliced loaf tend to stay on the hook better than the local loafs or rolls.

Another thing, I find that when I'm overseas and don't know what's on offer . . . catch some little fish 1"'ers ( 2cm aprox ) ( so make sue you take some 2lb line and size 18 hooks ) and dry them in the sun then use them as bait. Big fish eat little fish, don't forget some wire traces, best just to use a single hook, size 8 to 2 are fine under a small Pike float or better still large Chubber one that take two to three swan. The water may seem gin clear and not a fish in sight but they are there, pop a small fish bait in and they appear from nowhere, what are they . . try it and find out.

Andrew Boyd

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers people,

I've found out that as well as the harbour area, its a very rocky coast, with some deeper (30') water very close in. So lots of options available.

Andrew, good suggestion re getting some small fish as bait, I'll put some lighter stuff in as well.

Paul

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm back from Sivota in Greece.

Took the rod, did a couple of early morning sessions, and a couple of afternoons. Fished both inside the harbour and outside. Mainly used breadflake, fished under a waggler, and caught about a dozen fish, one of which was my first ever thin-lipped mullet of just over a pound. Must have a try for this species in the UK, excellent scrap, a real fighter. Lost one about 4lb or so when the hook pulled, I was using barbless size 12's. Of the other fish, I added 6 other new species to my catch list, but I haven't a clue what they were. Just waiting for the pics to come back so I can identify them!

Overall, not stunning fishing, the fish were quite small, but there was loads of them, so it was a bite a chuck, which was good fun. And the sun, chilled beer, and location were excellent.

Bit aggravating one morning, some bloke running round with a flaming torch, asking the way to Athens :D The Olympic Torch relay came through the village, really got everyone into the spirit of the games, great to be in the right country at the right time :cool:

Regards, and thanks for you help!

Paul

Pleased you did well Paul,am taking my telescopic gear to Malta next month,St Pauls Bay,hoping to target the mullet and bream. Plan to meet up with a guy from the local Kingfisher club of Malta and get a few tips. Will let you know what happens.

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

you could take a 6m tele whip and some pole rigs.

I have seen these used by the locals in just about every Med country I have been to.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!