Barbour Jackets - who owns one?

Elton

We used to have Gat Gun fights as kids. Padded jackets and a lot of stupidity involved. :)

For the record, don't try that at home, kids. Somebody could easily have lost an eye!

we used to take the closed buds off a dandelion and put them into our air rifles and shoot each other. shurikens out of 4 inch nails and leccy tape. throwing arrows with nails for tips. spiky pit traps for the unwary. bangers cunningly placed in piles of dog crap. 8 bangers taped together with leccy tape....damn! the list of health and safety nightmares is endless in my youth! LOL!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a Barbour. I've had 'em for years. They're not the most waterproof of things, not breathable and, as others have said can smell interesting....but,for grovelling around in thorn bushes, gorse, mussel covered rocks, or anywhere that abrasion/penetration by thorns is likely to be a risk they're brilliant.

I give mine a particularly hard life but, re-proofing is a doddle if you're handy with an iron and some old brown paper to spread the wax on! The new ones are oil impregnated and less sticky so better on the car seats and less likely to become coated in dog hair.

At £200 a throw they ain't cheap but they last a very long time and work out cheap in the long run!

....oh and of course loads of big pockets....

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I just read this article about Barbour jackets - http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/news-featur...ur-jackets.html

Do many anglers still own them? It's great to see a UK company doing so well. There can't be that many items left to buy that are produced over here!

If you do own one, it seems that you are now deemed 'cool' and can hang out with the likes of Fearne Cotton :)

Dont they come free with a Range Rover?

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

on some more serious occassions hand to hand cow shite fights broke out ...I know...daft :). The good old days eh :( .

I remember a friend and I bumping into a non-fishing schoolfriend when we were on our way home from the pond. He started the stone-throwing - mustn't have known about anglers and catapults, silly boy. He ended up hiding under a bridge by a cow field. As he emerged to see if the coast was clear, he got a pat on the back :lol:

I've got a Barbour. I've had 'em for years. They're not the most waterproof of things, not breathable and, as others have said can smell interesting....but,for grovelling around in thorn bushes, gorse, mussel covered rocks, or anywhere that abrasion/penetration by thorns is likely to be a risk they're brilliant.

I give mine a particularly hard life but, re-proofing is a doddle if you're handy with an iron and some old brown paper to spread the wax on! The new ones are oil impregnated and less sticky so better on the car seats and less likely to become coated in dog hair.

At £200 a throw they ain't cheap but they last a very long time and work out cheap in the long run!

....oh and of course loads of big pockets....

that tend to get water in them ,i cant remember how much baccy was wasted wearing the useless things :D

the easiest way to wax them is to stand the wax tin in hot water and paint the wax on chasing it into the coat with a hair dryer ;)

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Dont they come free with a Range Rover?

Oi! Not all of us Range Rover owners wear greasy old Barbour jackets you know...................ok ok I do have a waxed cotton green Barbour "Stylee" flat cap! :rolleyes: My Range Rover is a "tool" that spends just as much time off road as on....unlike most who the closest they get to "off road" is the greengrocers in Epsom high street!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Oi! Not all of us Range Rover owners wear greasy old Barbour jackets you know...................ok ok I do have a waxed cotton green Barbour "Stylee" flat cap! :rolleyes: My Range Rover is a "tool" that spends just as much time off road as on....unlike most who the closest they get to "off road" is the greengrocers in Epsom high street!

My 'Disco' and my Barbour are both used for their original intended purposes B)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Slightly off topic but a valuable point...

Be vigilant those who have 4X4’s at the moment as they are really being targeted at the moment. Before you wake up in the morning you car will be half way to Botswana for a local tribal leader to display to his 10 wives!

Last year my Range rover’s floor fell out. The differential guard rammed into it and where it was on its last legs that was that. Due to hawking it had spent 80% of the time off the road. It was only 7 years old. Got a good price for it though as although completely useless I still got £600 for it. By the time I sold the light bars bull bars, spots and god knows what more I got over £1,000 for it. Not bad for a vehicle with a completely missing rotted floor!

It is a shame as our last but one winter with so much snow gave it a right pounding as you just could not see what was underneath the snow. Then with the salt it just wrecked it.

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

My 'Disco' and my Barbour are both used for their original intended purposes

Collecting a kilo of 'Pink Fir Apple' potates from the farmers market in Ludlow ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.