Crucians in Feb ?

robtherake

Revisiting a local water last October (after an absence of ten years or so) I had several crucians over the 3lb mark in amongst bags of carp to low doubles. They're the survivors of the same fish we used to catch in the late 80s/early 90s, when they used to average 8 to 12 oz.

Typically the biggest came in a session when my scales had been left in another bag and my phone battery had died so no pics but can't have been less than 4 and more probably 4 1/2lb. It almost filled the bottom ring in a 30" pan net, and I'm absolutely convinced it was a true cru.

Anyway, musing aside, does anyone have any experience of catching crucians at this time of year, or am I best off waiting for a month or two for the water to warm up?

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Revisiting a local water last October (after an absence of ten years or so) I had several crucians over the 3lb mark in amongst bags of carp to low doubles. They're the survivors of the same fish we used to catch in the late 80s/early 90s, when they used to average 8 to 12 oz.

Typically the biggest came in a session when my scales had been left in another bag and my phone battery had died so no pics but can't have been less than 4 and more probably 4 1/2lb. It almost filled the bottom ring in a 30" pan net, and I'm absolutely convinced it was a true cru.

Anyway, musing aside, does anyone have any experience of catching crucians at this time of year, or am I best off waiting for a month or two for the water to warm up?

On a local pool close to me there is one peg where crucians feed on mild days during the winter but it can be very hit and miss.

Its a feeder peg and a small groundbait feeder is normally used with a soft pellet, dead maggots or breadflake.

When they are feeding bites can be very savage which is very suprising for Crucians especialy as its winter.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

On a local pool close to me there is one peg where crucians feed on mild days during the winter but it can be very hit and miss.

Its a feeder peg and a small groundbait feeder is normally used with a soft pellet, dead maggots or breadflake.

When they are feeding bites can be very savage which is very suprising for Crucians especialy as its winter.

Same here. On the float, hitting one bite in ten. On the feeder, rod pulled off the rest. Thank heavens for the bolt effect, eh?

Gonna have a dabble later, nothing ventured and all that......

One thing that has become obvious though is that the bigger fish take up to 15 minutes to revive - something I've only previously experienced with big grayling.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

check out Peter Rolfe's website for everything crucian including identification (Mr Rolfe may even look at a few pics of your next captures if you ask nicely.....)

http://www.crucians.org/

Cheers Jeff - didn't know he had a website - Crock of Gold is an excellent reference for ALL thing crucian (and a lot that claim to be!)

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

check out Peter Rolfe's website for everything crucian including identification (Mr Rolfe may even look at a few pics of your next captures if you ask nicely.....)

http://www.crucians.org/

Interesting site Jeff, thanks.

Significantly though, my fish looked every ounce of the current record claimant shown on the site. Absolutely no bullshit. Going on appearance alone it could have been the same fish.

The only thing that caused me any element of doubt was that my fish seemed to have little shoulders, but so does that 5 pounder and perhaps crucians of that size all do.

It's rare to get true crucians with a water temperature of less than 50 degrees F but F1 (crucian x carp) and brown goldfish are more obliging and will feed more willingly when it's as low as 45 degrees.

That 5lber turned out to be a hybrid but Peter has yet to update his site.

For a monster crucian DNA is by the far the most reliable method to check - just need a scale.

For a monster crucian DNA is by the far the most reliable method to check - just need a scale.

Mark, is that the same with other hybrids, e.g. roach/rudd etc?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Mark, is that the same with other hybrids, e.g. roach/rudd etc?

There aren't many alternatives; good photos - 80% OK, DNA 99%+ OK, dissection 95%+. As DNA gives the fish a chance to survive the only drawback is getting it done, and not as expensive as was the case formerly (Circa £20).

Cheers, Mark.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net