maggots on the run

maxaldo

Well its like Shawshank Redemption in my house today. I'd been keeping my maggots in my mums fridge at home but one got loose and so i had to make other plans. As i was going to go fishing again today, i decided it wouldn't matter to keep them at room temperature so i kept them in a the box, in a bag. However, the box was wet and i think the maggots had worked themselves free through the gaps (dont think i must have kept the lid on correctly being honest :o ). Anyway, i woke today to find them scattered all across the floor, luckily parents were out at work so i started to clear them up. Half an hour i was there trying to get the little critters, they were everywhere. Think iv'e mannaged to collect nearly all of them but you can never get them all, it's proabaly just a matter of waiting untill they come out as flies and i'll be waiting with the spray to give it to them. Wish me luck :lol: . Has anyone else ever had these kinds of escapades?

My worms escaped the other day. As they are dendrabaenas (or however you spell them) I didnt put them in the fridge but needed somewhere cool. I decided to put some cold water in the utility room sink, put them all in a large bait box and float it in there.

My wife told me she put some washing on the next morning (the machine is also in the utility room) as saw a load of worms floating in the sink!

I came down to find about 20 of them wriggling around at the bottom of the water. I scooped them up, dried them off and put them back in the bait box. Apparantly worms absord oxygen through their skin from the air or water and can survive like this for quite some time.

I think we have both learnt a lesson. :D

My worms escaped the other day. As they are dendrabaenas (or however you spell them) I didnt put them in the fridge but needed somewhere cool. I decided to put some cold water in the utility room sink, put them all in a large bait box and float it in there.

My wife told me she put some washing on the next morning (the machine is also in the utility room) as saw a load of worms floating in the sink!

I came down to find about 20 of them wriggling around at the bottom of the water. I scooped them up, dried them off and put them back in the bait box. Apparantly worms absord oxygen through their skin from the air or water and can survive like this for quite some time.

I think we have both learnt a lesson. :D

Yeah, iv'e leanrt a very valuable one, just had a look in my room again and saw a few more burrowing down into the carpet, they just keep seem to be appearing from nowhere lol, it could be havock in a few days lol

spray your carpet with 50/50 mix of water and Jeyes fluid

they will either die or resurface pretty quickly

Edited by peterpikefisher

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

Don't worry you're not alone! I've had an entire container of maggots that crawled out in my fridge. My girlfriend was not amused cause she found some in her lettuce. The rest found their way out of the fridge and all around the house...In a couple of weeks there were flies flying all around the house and believe me, you will have the same :D:D Good luck!