Making My Own Boilies

Leesydav

Hi,

With the weather warming up I have decided its time to get out the gear and hit the bankside again.

I have decided to try making my own boilies this years and after looking around the net for insperation I have come up with the following recipe:

6 eggs

6oz Semolina

4oz Soya Flour

6oz White Fish Meal

2oz Robin Red

1tsp of betaine powder

Tiger nut addative.

The reason I have chose tigernut addative is because I have had success with tigernut flavour boilies before so I thought that is where I would start.

Can anyone give me there opinion on weather they think this mix will be ok or am I way off the mark?

Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

I use I mix that's not far from that but I put a little tigernut flour in mine and try adding some cream cajouser flavouring makes it kinda creamy smelling also I don't use Robin red but that's only because I have caught well on pale baits. The tiger nut flavouring I use is tigernut oil the Cotswold baits one is good. Oh and one more thing I've been meaning to use some almond extract it smells amazing I've just not got round to rolling any yet

Something like that will work as an instant bait but it's far from nutritionally complete. If you're just going for the odd day it should catch you fish but it's not suitable for a campaign.

tom,

In your opinion what would complete the nutritional value?

I broke down the recipe listed and it is aprox 32% protein depending on which paticular white fish meal. The term "white fish meal" is not specific could be anything between bony fishmeal @ about 14% to bleached fishmeal powder @ about 60% protein. I just averaged the fishmeal to come up with my conclusion.

IMO it's a fine supper for carp.

Lees,

Looks pretty good! Couple suggestions. Betaine powder or betaine in general is wonderful pre-spawn and shortly thereafter. May I suggest substituting brewers yeast for warmer water. Also, the constituent in Robin Red is the powerful attractant capsicum. Capsicum is available in many forms. It is the part of the nightshade family of plants that makes them hot to us. Plants in that family are peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant. There are lots of "hot sauces" that will add from a little to a lot of capsicum.

Don't get to fancy at first - but the one conditionally essential ingredients in carp diets is chitin. Usually they get plenty from other food sources. It is a fabulous attractant if you want to use it.

Phone

Lees, All,

I usually post this once in a while. Perhaps it will help if you haven't seen it. Bare in mind I don't use boilies. You will have to add eggs to any boilie making process.

CARP Bait,

As with all forum posts you are welcome to ignore, comment or become a critic. I like all three. This was in answer to a forum question in 1992, "what's the best carp bait". It's always good for a few comments. Old timers will no doubt ignore as I have cut and pasted this from a 2001 post on AN I made as Phonebush.

My “White Paper” on baits, some science, some opinion, some experience, and some malarkey. I shall not differentiate for I consider myself an expert authority on carp bait.

I wish the UK were more open in the discussion of baits. Of course I understand, often bait is a livelihood and secrets are not to be reveled. Still, can it be that big a deal? My opinion for marketing carp bait is the same as marketing a good beef steak. SELL THE SIZZLE! Secrecy is definately part of the sizzle. Much of what I say was published in the US decades ago. Reinventing the wheel so to speak.

I’ll try to start at the beginning. Ultimately with carp bait you have three choices. The first choice is never invoked as it is not even a little understood. That is the fight or flight response used to entice game fish. The two remaining choices are carbohydrates (sweet usually and at the end of the day alcohols) or protein (as amino acids). The major player is protein. Protein is a collective word to describe the structural components of life which are the amino acids. Carp as omnivores eat a wide range of food, both plant and animal. I will have to say, without scientific evidence, there seems to be a correlation between water temperature and food preference for carp. The warmer the water is the sweeter the bait, the colder the water is the more organic acids. Of course , there are thousands of other factors that keep bait choice from being this simple. Still I believe it is a good rule of thumb to use at the beginning of the day. Also, I think it is a mistake to break down bait to the amino level. Protein content is basic enough.

Here is the most controversial statement I will make (at least on the US front). “Carp eat between nothing and very little when the water temperature is below 50 degrees F. and what they do eat they digest probably less than 5%” I’ll stick by this statement until proven wrong!!

Chemical senses (roughly defined as smell/taste) in carp represent there most powerful tool in exploiting food sources.

A Phone theory, “Protein requirements for healthy carp and the stimuli for finding and trying baits are not related. The trigger mechanism for finding food may not necessarily have a healthy affect on the creature.”

The most pronounce and consistent USEFUL attractant for carp response is “chitin”. This is not really an attractant but an non-energy food. Chitin is a nitrogen containing polysaccharide. In carp chitin is conditionally essential. You would recognize chitin as the stuff that makes up the shell of bugs and shell fish. Chitin is the second most abundant bimolecular structure on earth. (Quiz- what’s first?). Chitin is a compulsory part of carp diets. In addition to healthy liver function it stimulates the immune system, and supports the structural parts of the carp body. Carp are often fooled by glucose or many of the other polysaccharides since they are closely related to chitin. Chitin is broken down in the carps system by specialized acids.

I will add here my favorite cheap and abundant source of chitin is brewers yeast. Brewers yeast, in addition to having chitin, has a lot of protein and contains the vitamin B group niacin and phosphorus to promote digestion. First ingredient – brewers yeast primarily for chitin.

Favorite attractant, the Nightshade family and in particular capsaicin a derivative of capsicum which contain major long distance flavors (I use the words flavors and attractants interchangeably). Plants like, red pepper (my personal most consistent performer), tobacco, tomatoes, eggplant, potatoes are all nightshades. Nightshades like cayenne pepper are not a taste thing for carp. They are an amino acid receptor switch. For example the capsicum or hot stuff in red pepper is a vanilloid which reacts with the amino acid betaine. Humans have a rich source of betaine – puke or hydrochloric acid as stomach acid. Carp don’t have a stomach and need some outside sources. The misunderstood word is “flavor” as in a “vanilla flavored or hot sauce flavored bait”. Carp do not taste these bait enhancers, they are positive receptors that turn on the feeding response for protein requirements. Additional attractants of note are kola nut, licorice root, marshmallow root, peppermint. These additional attractants do not have the range of the nightshades. On small water, range could sometimes be a negative. Personally I cannot address small water successfulness from experience. So the second ingredient – hot pepper (powder or liquid) as capsicum.

Do not confuse an attractant with aromatic scent covers. Molecules with aromatic ring structures are not attractants but what I call scent covers. Since carp, and all teleosts are endowed with natures best chemical detecting systems within their environment scent covers are often confused with attractants. Don’t mistake attractants with scents or odors. Some scent or odor covers, neutral as attractants are, the drugs caffeine and salicylic acid, odors of camphor, cinnamic acid (cinnamon), eugenol (nutmeg and cloves), safrole, anethole (anise), tannin (tea), gallic acid, and vanillin; also the vitamins ascorbic acid and niacin loosely called phenolic compounds are effective. Aromatic ring structures blast carp smellers and it is best NOT to use them if possible. While I’m here the lily family, especially garlic have no effect on carp. Allicin the principle aromatic of garlic has an odor only when crushed and that trauma IN AIR excites an enzyme which changes the precursor alliin to allicin. In the absence of air garlic has NO ODOR. To think of all the years I used garlic faithfully. Third ingredient – no aromatic scents or covers unless ABSOLUTLTY necessary.

Food values are essential from a responsibility standpoint. Even thought brewers yeast has some protein it is not enough or in the right form to necessarily benefit carp. We need to add a fish protein for this. I like fish protein powder as opposed to meal but cost is sometime prohibitive for some to use. Fish protein powder at 70% protein is $8.00 a pound in the US while fishmeal 55% protein is less than $4.00. Fish protein in dry cat food is even cheaper. Fish protein is by far the best in that it contains all of the amino acids in balance with the requirements of healthy carp.

Now the carrier or bulk of the bait. I do not like soybeans. I am completely out of step with the rest of the world here but too many bad things can happen to soy meal and derivatives after the bait is completed but before it is used. I prefer corn in many forms. I especially like corn gluten meal. Among the bulk products are the binders. If you will use corn something as the carrier or bulk I recommend corn syrup as the binder.

I am often questioned, is one amino better than another? Nope, just cheaper. For example betaine is hydrochloric acid. Useable betaine could be easily derived from nearly pure protein, human hair and hydrochloric acid. Add hair and acid until the acid is essentially neutralized. I’ve never used this combination, I’m just making an illustration. LOL maybe your barber has the secret ingredient to carp bait. I’d better not leave you with that thought. Sources for Betaine are the weed devil’s horsewhip, chaff flower, beet molasses (beet molasses is about the 4th pressing of sugar beets), betaine is highly concentrated in capsicum, kola nut, and licorice root. Approved food sources for betaine are marshmallow root, peppermint, wheat grass, wolfberry fruit, wood betony, and yarrow. The only eatable non-plant source of consequence is brewers yeast. Do you notice any repetitiveness here that intertwine requirements? And, while I haven’t checked precisely, I’d guess this is the source of success with cranberry flavor.

A side bar I use as the secret ingredient. Don’t tell anyone. Antacids like Tums and Rolaids (peppermint for fun) really turn on the little electric receptors in the fourth sensory system in carp. (Quiz – what are the first three?) Carp have an electro receptive lateral line system which is capable of detecting chemicals from long long LONG distances. If you believe, as I do that motion is helpful add Alka-Seltzer to short term baits.

Phone

Enjoy (I would change very little even today) Now you can make your own boilies - remember the eggs

Lees, All,

I usually post this once in a while. Perhaps it will help if you haven't seen it. Bare in mind I don't use boilies. You will have to add eggs to any boilie making process.

CARP Bait,

Plants like, red pepper (my personal most consistent performer)

Phone

Enjoy (I would change very little even today) Now you can make your own boilies - remember the eggs

Phone.

Off-topic maybe, but I've always thought that the canned sweetcorn with red peppers is a better hookbait than the normal stuff.

Rob.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Rob,

Probably (?!). For me, it's a matter of cost. With all that fancy "stuff" and years of formal testing I've discovered a $0.10 can of sweet corn is as good as it get. Sweet corn with peppers is a whole $0.25. The cheaper the the tin the tougher the kernels. Good brands are more tender. Not a good thing for carp bait.

If I had to choose, I say I'd choose frozen in the bag then half or maybe a quarter dried (whatever it takes to toughen it up a bit). Only because it stays on the hook a tad better. Maybe not any better than the "best" which is the Goya brand Giant Mexican corn (maize) in Peppers. The Mexican stuff is maize and not sweet corn. I'm sure there are other brands of Mexican corn/w hot peppers.

Kernels of corn in various forms are hard to pick a statistically significant "good, better, best". One one day, another another day.

In the corn family there are 4. Flint, dent, sweet, flour. Actually flour tested "best" by 0.000001 or something silly like that.

I will say this in Tom's defense. If you are fishing a small lake that's in an overstock condition and they only allows a few members that put in 90% of the available resources you need to be sure you have a responsible feeding program. On corn alone carp survive. But not healthy, fun to catch big carp.

Sorry Lees, back to the subject. Any questions?

Phone

• 1 month later...

My advice would be to not get too hung up on the science of it all. While the information given on the science makes fascinating reading you will go mad trying to incorporate it into your own fishing.

The recipe looks reasonable and it reminds me of some recipes I have used successfully on big fish waters. Mine were based around the recipes in Martin Clarke's book Strictly Carp.

Heres just 1

2kg white fishmeal

2kg soluble fishmeal

3kg CLO birdfood

2kg semolina

1kg fullfat soya flour

1kg robin red

There are bird food fishmeal and milk protein baits but I settled on the fishmeals in the main due to costs. Of course you can adjust the figures to make smaller amounts and use different meals depending on cost and availability.

Me I dont flavour it because it stinks as it is and trust me the carp love it. At the end of the day if it smells good the carp will scoff it. Dont waste your money on fancy additives. Rememeber the carp dont read magazines or watch DVDs they simply go... yum I want to eat it, NOW!! or they run off in a panic. Most additives are waste products being sold to gullible anglers. Dont be one of them. lol. :D

Experiment with the mix but keep it simple perhaps buy a copy of Martins no nonsense book and above all enjoy the experience of making your own.

Click here to Visit St Ives Tackle 

apple-touch-icon.webp