What Have You Got?

Elton

fisherman:

.... Hey Bush you sure Plec is happy in cold water? They are a tropical fish.

But in the end, a pleco is a catfish and can adapt to non-tropical conditions if you go at it slowly.

Anybody got plants in the ponds?

I have a pond-to-be that needs a little more digging and then liner, pumps, and so on. Left a couple places in the center where the dirt will be within a foot of the top so plants there and along the rock wall at the back. Remainder of the bottom will be from 3ft to a deep section of 7 feet in case we get a real cold bit of weather and the fish need a deeper hole to lay up in.

Have a nice hill in the back yard and started the pond at the foot of the hill and dug into it so the location for the water fall thing is about 4 feet above the pond.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the moment I have 2 ponds, 20ft x 9ft x 4ft with koi and a 8ft x 6ft x 2ft pond with goldfish and the odd roach.

In the past I used to have a dedicated fish room containing 30 or so tanks where I kept and bred various fish.

Miss having a tank in the house but i've no room for one now.

Scott.

chris:

Seems a lot of us are visited by the herons.I seem to get troubled during the winter months only,is that the case with you guys??

chris

yes, seems to be winter only,

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

I have a 3000 gall pond which is extremely difficult to get away from when the sun's shining & the fish are feeding!

Populated by 8 Carp, biggest a 6lb ghostie.

4 Orfe golden/blue.

4 Rudd natural/golden.

Various Goldfish varieties.

Shoal of minnows.

2 Dace.

1 Sturgeon.

Best part is, a number of fish are breeding & I currently have a small shoal of Orfe swimming about happily. It's a well filtered pond but kept heavily stocked with plants to encourage the Frogs which obviously works as we have loads.

Chris, I also only have bother with the Heron in winter. I was informed that winter is their hardest time due in the main to high water conditions (logical enough) but come early spring they become less of a problem due to an abundance of frogs etc. They are a cautious bird & if your pond is reasonably close to the house, they won't take chances unless it's absolutely necessary.

Oh nearly forgot the 6 foot tank in the house full of tropicals!

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

I've got a small pond over at my pairents house with Goldies and some Koi in it.

here in the House I have a 350l Native marine tank, in which I have kept Hadock, Cod, Coalies, Gurnards, Whiting amongst other things :-)

In the past I've kept just about everything that swims but had a passion for Synodontis and other cats

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

peter mccue:

They are a cautious bird & if your pond is reasonably close to the house, they won't take chances unless it's absolutely necessary.

Mine flies up to the roof watches til I or the dogs go in then flies back down! :mad: :mad:

But the herons in our area are used to seeing people :(:(

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

The heron is a solitary feeder, the father in-law has a dummy heron stood by the side of his pool, keep it clean and move its site from time to time and you won't get too much trouble from them, as they think they've been beaten to the spot.

[ 02. January 2003, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: Nugg ]

Newt:

Left a couple places in the center where the dirt will be within a foot of the top so plants there and along the rock wall at the back.

Newt be very careful what you do plant, I heard to-day on a radio programme that some plants will go straight through your liner.

Nugg,

I've heard that comment about herons from quite a few people - is it genuine fact?

I don't know about feeding, but about 50 of them can be seen on one of our flooded fields at work at this time of year

All the best,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Thanks for the warning Nugg. I will be putting them in clay pots and setting the pot on a stone so hopefully they will behave. But then again, maybe they won't. Luckily the ground is mostly clay and if I spring a few leaks, it shouldn't soak in very fast.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President