Winter Feeding

Elton

How should your feeding routine change for pond fish in the winter?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I have given up on wheat germ based food, they just leave it floating around till it sinks and then it goes furry . .

I feed them little and infrequent on maggot . . about 100 per day for all the fish . . . there not cheap you know . .

go on . . watch BB say this is probably the worst thing I can do . . then I will go to the pond and find them all belly up . . :(

so far it is always the ide/orfe that are first to the grub

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

I go out to the pond most days & just put a small amount of food out for them, then guage my feeding levels by how quick they eat it.

If they're slow to clear it up, I leave it a few days before I put anymore in.

If they mop it up (which this winter they have been doing) then they'll continue to have a regular supply till their feeding tells me otherwise.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Stop feeding mine when water temp drops below 10C. Have read many articles stating that digestive system can not cope at colder temperatures. If they do want food there is always plenty in the shape of algae or suchlike.

Regards..

Hereford_angler:

At 8oC+ my carp feed on wheat germ but below that i dont feed. Sometimes i drop a red worm in for tench on warmer days.

Sorry H.A. but I should have thought that at 80C. your fish should be well cooked and ready for eating. Hope you mean 80F.

Stop feeding my fish by the end of Nov. as everyone else says if they want more let them earn it in the pond.

Dave

ANMC Founder Member. Always learning

I stop feeding them almost entirely, only giving a few low protein pellets in the morning if the weather is going to be warm for a few days. If they are hungry there will be enough natural food in the pond anyway.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

As a rough guide if the tempreture is below 50f then feed a low protien, quality wheatgerm based feed, the fish will let you know how much they want if they don't clear it all within about five minutes then feed that much less the next time. Between 50f and 60f feed a medium protien food and over 60f a high protien feed. Natural protiens are fine in the winter, such as worms maggots etc but the protien in fish foods is normally fish meal or animal protiens which can be harmful when fed at low tempretures. Also your fish will like the occasional treat, most fishing baits are fine as are oranges, lettuce, brown bread spread with honey or marmite! peeled prawns, the fish get fed better than I do!!!

[ 06. January 2003, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Nick South East ]