unusual pond fish

craig mason

I've got a large golden tench, but I don't think they're that unusual. Nice, though :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I have a shoal of Minnows, not very unusual in streams & rivers I grant you, but not seen many in garden ponds.

Excellent entertainment too, always active.

Craig mate, watch that Golden Trout if you have much smaller fish in with him. Years ago I experimented with small rainbows & Perch, not one of my best ideas in a community pond. :rolleyes:

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

when first starting off, I was dead eager to see my pond full of plants and fish and all the other hoppy flying things etc...

so we went to a local pond and pinched some water weed (3 carriers full). What's the harm in that eh, on returning home and emptying the plants into pond plant treat (oh, yes I bought the whole lot . . mr gullible) 4 sticklebacks fell out.

I was ready to despatch them when "oh no, there so cute happened" she was stood behind me

last year I set up the flick tip of my pole, a tiny stick float, size 26 hook and fished squat

1st day = 76 stickies

2nd day = 120 + stickies

3rd day = 200 + stickies, and whoops one orfe ( :D ) well I had too didn't I, just one, I can handle it . . as the old advert went

eventually this year drained the pond and removed the other 500 plus . . all those came from 4 tiny sticklebacks about 5 years ago. . .

oh aren't they cute - MOST DEFINATELY NOT

:(:(

but I do remember coming home from spain 2 years ago to find hundreds of of little fry in the shallow end of the pond

"I'm a dad" I shouted with great joy . . guess what my offspring grew up to be

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

Now there's a thought...

I'm aiming to stock my own pond with perch, which will obviously need a food source, sticklebacks and their fry sound like a perfect answer ;-)

Cheers for the idea BA, want to 'lend' me some of your stickles, if you've got any left of course, later in the summer?

More to the point... anyone know where I can buy some perch?

:D

Cheers,

Adz.

Get your EA rod licence here!

A mirror carp and (until a couple of years ago) a tench of around 1-2lb. I bought some gudgeon several years ago but I've never seen them again, plus some rudd but they disappeared and have never been replaced.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

H.A.

Orfe are a superb pond fish, & if you have plenty of space will grow to a good size in no time at all.

Try some Goldfish varieties, but choose carefully go for natural shaped fish. Make sure you pick fish that are much bigger & healthier than their siblings, & you'll end up with some surprisingly big Goldies. Don't be tempted by airy fairy style fins either, they don't go well with semi-natural ponds.

The albino Grass Carp are good.

Golden Rudd are stunning.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

gotta go with Pete on both Orfe and the Rudd . . To date I have lost non of my original stocking of orfe (8) or rudd (4) or tench (2) . . . sadly can not be said for fancy goldfish/carp and shubumpkins hardly last at all . . big commets (sarasa) are quite good and grow fast - but in my pond are quite prone to cotton wool fungus and sores. The coarser fish do not seem to be effected at all.

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !