heron scarers

Bradford Angler

from a bit further up from Greg Long

quote:

I lost 2 3lb carp and one 4.5lber, they just killed and left them when they couldn't swallow them. they can swallow 10inchers.

I thought that there were only a limited number species that killed beyond what they could eat.

Cormies and mink and of course man.

I thought actually herons only went for the fry in the margins . . .

definately the trolley jack option :):)

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought actually herons only went for the fry in the margins . . .

I really wish that were the case Bradford, but unfortunately it isn't, & I really wish I wasn't posting from experience but unfortunately I am.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

craig mason:

i think that my £6000 japanese koi are more important than these birds

Oh really? As you have admitted on the coarse angling thread ('frequency of rod licence checking'), you're unemployed & don't buy as rod licence as you can't afford one. Sure. But you fish from your boat and keep £6000 koi... and admit to killing two species of protected bird.

In your shoes I'd expect a visit soon from the venerable Mr William, and woe betide you if you have also failed to buy a shotgun licence (5 year gaol minimum from now on).

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

quote:

In your shoes I'd expect a visit soon from the venerable Mr William, and woe betide you if you have also failed to buy a shotgun licence (5 year gaol minimum from now on).

Aren't you also supposed to keep a shotgun in some sort of secure cabinet and not just 'by the back door'?

Paul

fair point i have put my gun somewere safeunder lock and key and have installed a heron deterrent that i bought from my local koi centre as i wasn't aware that shooting herons was illegal as a fish farm owner friend of mine has shot loads of them when they have been attacking his stock ponds so i thought it was ok to shoot them if they attack your fish

john wilson is god

Anyone else tried the "artificial goldfish"? A plastic goldfish that is tethered to a stone by a piece if fishing line, rigged so it is floating just under the surface. The idea is that the heron spots it first, has a nab, finds it weighs about a pound more than it should, gets all flustered and flys away. They cost £1.99 from a garden centre. I have one in place, plus the 18 inch high wire round the pond, and haven't lost any goldfish to herons all last year. Wish I could see the herons face when he catches the plastic fish though... :D

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Thankful to my local seagull population. As soon as herons land anywhere near, the local head of seagulls start dive bombing and making one hell of a commotion. Loud enough to alert us and let our heron detterent out into the back garden, he then goes into sentry duty watching the skies. As soon as he spots it rushs straight back into the house and watchs from the back door.

They cost £1.99 from a garden centre. I have one in place, plus the 18 inch high wire round the pond, and haven't lost any goldfish to herons all last year. Wish I could see the herons face when he catches the plastic fish though

Hope the Heron doesn't see the funny side and invite all his mates round, fish that way heavier than they should must be very popular talking points for herons :D must be like us going for the specimens, you might just get up one morning to find a heron camped out in a bivvy :D:D

yes I have seen them in the shops . . normally in the reduced section

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

i havent seen the "goldfish" :D yet ,my old employer had a wonderfull pond with koi and orfe and we had trouble with our "local" heron ,plastic herons failed and as the pond had a planting ledge wires were useless (he? could fly over the trip wire and land on the ledge) the best thing we found that worked (we used the owl to no effect) was a plastic black cat with very large eyes this moved every couple of days seemed to deter the bird .

remember though that herons are a pest because you keep or fish for fish ,if they were a pest in reality

as they have been about for millions of years then if they were a menace and fish gobbler there would be no fish occuring in nature , they come to your pond as its the bird equivelent of our fast food stores ,we use them can we blame herons for using theirs. if we leave a bike unlocked in a street who do we blame when its knicked ,the same applies to a pond , dont shoot ......deter

on the bright side there probably only 1 heron if it was corms your pond would be a hole filled with water and nothing else

the useless plastic heron we gave to our pet male goose as a "wife" he used to get VERY annoyed if you approached it :D

[ 15. January 2003, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson