Lillies

Bradford Angler

I have two lots of lillies in my pond, both of the white type (big leaves, bout 10 inch across). The lillies are weighted down, and the crown covered well in pebbles and rocks (to stop the carp). Each year they flower, but the flowers seldom stay up for more than 1-2 weeks. In the earlier years it used to be around 2-3 days, so guess I am progressing.

The water level is constant, and topping up is not causing them to fall below the level of the water.

I have a few books with lillies sections in, but can not find anywhere that says how long the flowers should float, before sinking.

When sinking the pods seem to form, but nothing has come of them, neither is there any jelly or noticable seeds in there when I force them open.

Question is - how long do they flower and how big are the seeds I am looking for ??

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

Bradford angler,

I think you're doing well to get the flowers open 1-2 weeks, the Lilies continue their display by producing constant flowers.

I think you'll have difficulty getting any viable seed pods off ornamental varieties, I've never had any yet, though there's no problem with them spreading via the rhizome.

The only ones that have produced what look like decent seed pods are the two wild lilies I have.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Hi Bradford Angler.I also think you are doing ok.Different varieties will vary in growth and flower production.If you want to propogate them ,lift them and divide them up.This should be done every 3/4 years anyway.By doing it you can retain the nice new rootstock and discard the older stuff.

chris