ice and balls

Bradford Angler

for those of us with preformed or dug ponds . . it is now a good time to throw the tennis balls or bits of wood into the ponds, when the ice forms it will act against the balls (oerrr) and hopefully stop any long term fractures to liner or block work . .

also if it freezes over completely and the pond is established, either run an air pump or melt the ice, this will allow any gases to escape before building up and killing of the fish . . .

melt the ice . . don't hit it with a hammer

plus pumps should be switched off over winter . .

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

MrWiggly:

I have kept my pump, and filter, running constantly for the last 3 years ... No ice .. No problems.

Which will work well in a mild climate but certainly not where it gets cold.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Peter - for the area around me, similar to yours but not as much rain and our averages are a bit milder and the extremes a bit wider.

Most years we don't see ice except once in a while in the margins. But occasionally plenty thick enough to walk on. Snow, many years none but I've seen 3 feet dropped with one storm.

Todays statistics are typical

Normal Max Temperature: 51°F Record: 79°F (1949) [10.5º / 21.5º]

Normal Min Temperature: 32°F Record: 0°F (1886) [0º / -18º]

So with a bit of 4' and a small bit of 6' depth in my (soon to be filled) pond, the fish should do nicely thru the occasional cold spell with ice.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President