fish from garden centres

craig mason

There are of course garden centres and garden centres! I'm fortunate that 3 of the ones near me have 'proper' aquarist shops in them, although I tend to stick with the two that have branches of Maidenhead Aquatics. Had nothing but good service from them and I approve of any company that refuses to sell dyed fish or fish that are unsuitable for aquariums.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Fish that have been injected with coloured dyes, often flourescent.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

dyed fish are fish that are injected with ink to make them more apealing to the first time fishkeeper if you look in the main fishkeeping magazines they usually run campaigns to ban these sort of fish and list shops that don't sell them

john wilson is god

Nick South East:

John S mentions in his post about a quarantine facility, I have my own views on this, with regards to cold water outdoor ponds. but I would be interested to hear thoughts from others?

I had hoped that someone would have picked up on that statement....

Nick, it sounds like you have reservations about quarantine tanks/ponds for outdoor fish. Even the best retailer cannor guarantee that their stock is free from bacterial, viral or fungal infections, and I for one would not like to risk any of my fish (now just pond fish, previously tropical freshwater and marine) to an outbreak that could so easily have been prevented. If I could, I would have a small isolation pond, but a large indoor tank has to suffice (filled with pond water, of course ).

Now, if anyone can give me a good reason why not to use a quarantine tank for new purchases, I will let him (or her) buy me a drink :)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Pets at home have been mentioned i see.

I had a 6ft tank with a decent selection of fish in it, he biggest was a sarasa comet that was as big as my thumb when i brought it, it weighed over 3lb when it died.

I also had a common channel catfish & an albino catfish both are now dead along with my sterlet.

In fact all my fish are dead, why??

We brought a couple of new fish from pets at home, one Dian chose had its rear fins closed up like a clenched fist but she thought it looked cute so i agreed & we had it.

After a week in the small tank (quarantine) we introduced them into the big tank & within a fortnight all my fish were dead :( .

When we first noticed the fish looking "ill" (about 2 days after introducing the new fish) we changed the water, boiled the gravel, threw away all the plants, scrubbed the tank, added loads of medicines etc & still the fish died.

I've not had the heart to set up the tank since & as far as i'm concerned its all down to the two fish we had from pets at home.

I agree with Stapley though, i only live 30/40 mins away from there & sometimes we just go out there for the drive (well i go for the fishing gear but don't tell Dian ).

Another good place is the Hollybush garden center just off Junction 11 of the M6 they've got some buetiful fish there including some BIG sturgeon in a massive indoor pond/pool, they also have a marine/tropical area inside a cave type set up which is fantastic to walk through with the kids cos their little faces light up with all the wonderfull colours.

[ 23. January 2003, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: ALAN FAWCETT ]

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

i aggree that pets at home sell some right dodgy fish but in there defence they do sell some good fish from time to time last summer the one near me in chesterfield was selling golden trout so i bought one to keep an eye on the quality of my water so far its survived and is thriving and is about 5inch long now :) if anyone can recomend a decent aquatic outlet near chesterfield i would be very grateful

john wilson is god

when using chemicals in a tank those people using internal or external filters using carbon should remember that the carbon will remove the chemicals (thats what its for) if steralising your gravel when using a under gravel filter they should realise all the bacteria in the gravel that once provided the cleaning will also be killed ,use another filtration method untill the bacteria reform (there used to be an addative available to reinhabit your gravel)

on the subject of carbon it is known in some circumstances that when its exausted (i e full of removed "bye products" ) it can suddenly release them back into the water ,hense carbon should be renewed FREQUENTLY :)

fish should be in quaranteen for as long as possible ( i used to use a month) chemicals in the quarantine tank should only be used if signs of disease shows, not as the norm :)

[ 26. January 2003, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson