fast grow pellets

Bradford Angler

does anyone feed there pond fish on the orangey nish**** fast grow pellets and just them . .

it doesn't say feed anyhting else as a change . . is it possible to feed them all season (when the water is warm enough) . . they have a note saying balanced and have the right vits (inc C) included ??

only thing is all the fish waste . . . is orange

but I guess that is usual from the feeding constraints of a carps digestion . .

all my fish appear to eat them and do grow . . but I was looking for another opinion, should I add something else . . I am sure if I go to the koi centre and ask them, I will return with a bucket of some sort of pellet . . required or not :rolleyes:

ps - I occasionally feed them a T-Cake (bun, roll, muffin) after having a few too many at the bbq

I know this is a forum about fish - so I do not want to start a debate on the correct name for a T-Cake :D:D:D

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

No problem with the Koi food its a reasonably well balanced feed. Its quite hight in protein so should be fed when the waters above 60f.

The same company also makes a staple food for when the tempreture is over 50f and below 60f and a wheatgerm when its below 50f.

The occasional 'accident' dropping into the pond should have no ill effect to the fish.

Hikari also do a very high quality food. Again in staple, wheatgerm and growth.

Occasional treats are fine, the fish will let you know how much they want, if they don't clear it all within about five minutes then feed that much less the next time.

Natural protiens are fine in the winter, such as worms maggots etc but the protien in fish foods is normally fish meal or animal protiens which can be harmful when fed at low tempretures.

Your fish will like the occasional treat, most fishing baits are fine as are oranges, lettuce, brown bread spread with honey or marmite! peeled prawns. etc

Bradford,

I use quality Koi feeds at a rate of 33% of the total dried foods my fish get over the season, but I do so as a sort of insurance, knowing they are rich in various minerals & vitamins required for most pond fish. There is another aspect of them as well which is they're rich in colour enhancers.

The remaining two thirds of the dried foodstuff consists of cat biscuits & puppy biscuits, these can be found in all sizes so you can easily arrange your food sizes to suit your range of fish.

One of the party pieces in summer is to hang one of those bone shaped bonio dog biscuits over the pond with just the edge in the water. Believe me, they will push their heads out of the water beyond the gills to get at it, such is their enthusiasm.

Throughout the course of the gardening season they get worms, caterpillars, small slugs & any amount of left over Casters etc.

I suffer very few deaths in the pond that are not directly attributed to the Heron, & seem to have a healthy growth rate within the pond.

What I'm trying to say is that the quality Koi pellets are obviously worth using, but I think the price is silly unless you're involved in show koi.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

I feed mine a regular pellet diet, but what they absolutely love are ....

COOKED PIZZA BASE. Cheese ? Olive oil ?

COOKED SPAGHETTI (String Variety) They will slam this as fast as I can throw it in !

RICH TEA BISCUITS. A great favourite !

Variety is the Spice Of Life ! :D:D:D

The Older I get .. The better I was.