Blanket Weed

davidP

Not sure what's going on this year but the blanket weed in my pond is growing like crazy, and the increase in this last week has been incredible, even though the pond has been frozen most nights.

Anybody care to suggest any good treatments for this, in addition to raking it all out.

Pond is preformed around 8x3 & 2 foot depth with tench, comets, rudd & shebunkins.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Guest Ferret1959

I had a problem with blanket weed last year.

I cured it with U/V light.

I'm not sure how much the units are but they definatly work well.

Make sure you get the right size for your pond.

Ask at your local stokists.

Hope this helps you.

You could always chuck a bale of barley in as this is meant to work too.

I've got a filter with a UV for just that reason, but I've since read in a book that because UV kills the algae as well it can actually make blanketweed worse as there is more nutriment available for the blanketweed. I suspect amongst other things I need to put more plants in to use up the nutriment. What I was after was a good chemical treatment to try and really knock it back so that it's got less chance of getting a fothold again.

David

The weed is growing because it has ample supplies of phosphate, and anything you do will be of temporary benefit unless you solve that.

The easiest option is to change (say) one third of the water periodically, but you might also look at the source of any run-off into the pool. The waste products of fish are also rich in phosphates, the more so if the fish are fed with a richer-than-required diet.

Otherwise, I suggest you use barley straw in small, mesh bags, suspended just below the water. The straw should be replaced every six months.

My advisory work is on fisheries, not garden ponds, and the dosage rate per acre is 5-10 normal sized straw bales. I guess you will need a small keeepnet-full of straw or thereabouts for your pond.

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

Bruno Broughton:

My advisory work is on fisheries, not garden ponds, and the dosage rate per acre is 5-10 normal sized straw bales. I guess you will need a small keeepnet-full of straw or thereabouts for your pond.

Bruno,

I used one stalk of barley in my 500ml Sea Monkey tank. Have I overdosed them? :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Thanks for that Bruno. I've used bales of barley straw before when we had problems with some pools in Telford but I think a bale may be a little too big :D I'll have to try and find a pet shop that sells it.

The most common reasons for blanket weed are, excess nutrients in the water, clear water, and too much sun.

UV lights kill off the suspended algae cells which make the water green, but leave you with clear water. This in turn lets the sunlight penetrate the water and encourages the filamentous strains of blanket weed.

Possible solutions are chemicals(don't like them, but they work) but some of these will have an adverse effect on other plant life. Lots of lilly leaves on the surface(bit early for them yet). Or you could shade the pond on the sunny side to cut down on the amount of sunlight the pond gets in a day.

There is an electric blanket weed controller similar to what you put on your water system indoors to reduce scale in the pipes. I think it is called "The Weedmaster". A search on the web should find it. I can't say how efficient it is though. According to the makers it will solve your problems forever, but I have never been convinced.

Hope this helps.

Personally I don't mind the stuff. It adds a more natural effect around the pond. Obviously I control with a stick until the other plants and lillies take over, but the Koi like to graze in it for the insects and larvae that it attracts.

It is also a good spawning medium for goldfish.

HI

Last year i added salt at one ounce a gallon and this killed off the weed and held back growth for a couple of months. I think it started to grow again due to water changes and draining filters. it worked for me and I will be doing the same again this year. :cool:

Tony