#11 Salar

Salar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • Interests:sea fishing, fly fishing, messing with boats

Posted 19 March 2003 - 07:35 PM

jerrydog:
Live in Lancashire and as yet no frog spawn. But what I have found is a lot of frogs in pond with strange disease. Skin spit mainly around limb joints. An odd one or two with limbs missing. Theses don't live long, usually dead after a day or two.
Is anyone else coming across this phenomenon
Regards

I remember reading last year that there was a disease attacking our native frogs with exactly those symptoms. It sounded very serious, but we have not seen any evidence of this in our frogs yet. Try a search on the web for the stories, it hit national news.
East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

#12 RUDD

RUDD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,387 posts
  • Interests:ALL FISHING, THE NET, ITFC, Cycling, The family

Posted 19 March 2003 - 07:47 PM

I have seen spawn in the garden pond but not in any lakes / bigger ponds yet.
RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

#13 MrWiggly

MrWiggly

Photo Moderator

• Anglers' Net Gold Fish
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,219 posts
  • Interests:Sea Fishing/Photography/Bonsai/Motorcycles.

Posted 20 March 2003 - 12:55 AM

Still no sign in my pond. The whole area is dominated by the biggest ruddy frog I have ever seen !! Its belowing croak rattles my window panes ! It's probably frightening all the girls off !
The Older I get .. The better I was.

#14 davidP

davidP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts
  • Interests:fishing, Subaru Imprezas, music, Elephant MUD

Posted 20 March 2003 - 01:10 AM

MrWiggly:
Still no sign in my pond. The whole area is dominated by the biggest ruddy frog I have ever seen !! Its belowing croak rattles my window panes ! It's probably frightening all the girls off !

Sounds like you may have one of the escaped US bullfrogs in your garden. May be worth reporting to your local wldlife trust as I seem to recall they were doing surveys on them at one point to try and find out how many there are and where they've colonised.
DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real
opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

#15 Ed Matysiak

Ed Matysiak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 01:39 AM

I think the bitter frost this morning mite have killed mine.

#16 peter mccue

peter mccue

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts
  • Interests:everything to do with fish

Posted 21 March 2003 - 02:08 AM

Talking of Bullfrogs, there was a short period of time when you could buy the things in petshops etc...now that's what you call a tadpole!!!
Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

#17 peter mccue

peter mccue

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts
  • Interests:everything to do with fish

Posted 21 March 2003 - 02:15 AM

Koi,

I wouldn't worry about the frosts killing the frogspawn. I have seen f/s trapped in ice & yet it had'nt frozen! The tadpoles hatched & developed as normal, makes you wonder whether they have some form of natural antifreeze.
Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

#18 John S

John S

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,995 posts
  • Interests:Eating cage birds and missing out commas.

Posted 21 March 2003 - 02:39 AM

We've got about 50-60 frogs in our pond now, and saw our first lumps of spawn. Although a lot of the tadpoles are eaten by fish, you will be surprised how many survive :)

Take care

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak,  Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

#19 Ed Matysiak

Ed Matysiak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 11:18 PM

peter mccue:
Koi,

I wouldn't worry about the frosts killing the frogspawn. I have seen f/s trapped in ice & yet it had'nt frozen! The tadpoles hatched & developed as normal, makes you wonder whether they have some form of natural antifreeze.

Cool. Pretty hardy stuff then!

#20 jerrydog

jerrydog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Ponds,Fish, Fishing, Motorbikes

Posted 22 March 2003 - 04:50 AM

Originally posted by jerrydog:
Live in Lancashire and as yet no frog spawn. But what I have found is a lot of frogs in pond with strange disease. Skin spit mainly around limb joints. An odd one or two with limbs missing. Theses don't live long, usually dead after a day or two.
Is anyone else coming across this phenomenon
Regards
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

I remember reading last year that there was a disease attacking our native frogs with exactly those symptoms. It sounded very serious, but we have not seen any evidence of this in our frogs yet. Try a search on the web for the stories, it hit national news.

Just found out I have Red Leg
Thanks