Small stream kit

Soffit

I fish a small river 15 to 20' across with a lot of trees. I have been float fishing for roach with a lot of trout by-catch on bread all winter and am loath to give it up during the close season. I reckon I can cover the river 99% with spinner and fly. I've bought some chest waders as all the fly fishing will have to be in the stream. What would be typical fly tackle for this situation? A typical brownie is six ozs; a specimen will be about a pound.

Thanks

Ps: I'm beyond 5 posts but still be moderated

I fish a small river 15 to 20' across with a lot of trees. I have been float fishing for roach with a lot of trout by-catch on bread all winter and am loath to give it up during the close season. I reckon I can cover the river 99% with spinner and fly. I've bought some chest waders as all the fly fishing will have to be in the stream. What would be typical fly tackle for this situation? A typical brownie is six ozs; a specimen will be about a pound.

Thanks

Ps: I'm beyond 5 posts but still be moderated

I do most of my trouting on lakes,however i occasionally dable on a small stream.IMHO a 3 weight outfit,8-8.5 ft rod will be plenty.

Doesn't have to cost the earth either.The 'Fladen Vantage 3 weight(usually plenty on ebay) is a decent little rod for the very reasonable cost, a lightweight reel need not cost a fortune either.If money is an issue,a mill end fly line can be got for £3-£4,try Mullarkeys,they are fine.Just stay away from Airflo floaters :lol: :lol: :o

good fishing :D

Edited by chuby

I use exactly the same set up as chuby, but I use an Airflo floater; there has not been a problem with them for about five years but the myth still persists; indeed the ridge tactical ultra supple is the straightest floating line you will ever use. It pains me to say it but their lines are better than my beloved Orvis.

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I do most of my trouting on lakes,however i occasionally dable on a small stream.IMHO a 3 weight outfit,8-8.5 ft rod will be plenty.

Doesn't have to cost the earth either.The 'Fladen Vantage 3 weight(usually plenty on ebay) is a decent little rod for the very reasonable cost, a lightweight reel need not cost a fortune either.If money is an issue,a mill end fly line can be got for £3-£4,try Mullarkeys,they are fine.Just stay away from Airflo floaters :lol: :lol: :o

good fishing :D

Followed up your rod recommendation; seems most agree with you. Got one from Amazon £21.99 including. Ebay being more expensive on this occasion. Cheers for that.

From what I have read it is important to get a reel that balances the rod level when pivoted at the front of the handle. Is it possible to guess this from the line wt of the reel if you can't get a hands-on?

Ps: If anyone has all the remaining bits I need as a package they have outgrown that would be suitable my wallet is slighty open ;)

I use exactly the same set up as chuby, but I use an Airflo floater; there has not been a problem with them for about five years but the myth still persists; indeed the ridge tactical ultra supple is the straightest floating line you will ever use. It pains me to say it but their lines are better than my beloved Orvis.

Tony

Tony,i will bow to your words on Airflo floaters,not used one for yonks i must admit.