Koi carp problems

peter mccue

Guys,

I've got a Shiro Bekko swimming around at the moment with a serious looking sore down one flank. It's lifting scales at the centre of the soreness & I strongly suspect it's an ulcer. :(:(

I plan to give the fish a salt bath then treat the area with a antiseptic cream. What do you think, any other idea's?

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Both of those ideas should help but if the problem persists contact your local vet and he/she will be able to give you an antibiotic that you can either get them to administer or some will let you do it. its an injection so acts quickly.

Cheers Bunchy,

I see the injection as the last resort, she's still feeding well & behaving quite normally but obviously I need to do something tout suite. I just wondered if anyone had any further home remedies, pond keepers are pretty resourceful chaps!

Welcome aboard B.T.W. :)

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

I had an ulcer problem about 1 yr after filling my pond and stocking. I think it came via crap stock from a garden centre - the manager can nolonger trade in fish.

I tried everything, including throwing away all my plants, scrubbing the lining, and all sorts of remedies, including salt.

in the end, out of shear desperation, I removed all the fish I had ulcered (mostly commets and some smaller carp) and cleaned the wounds with salted water, then coated the effected areas with Dettol (mild solution) and the fish survived . . yes we are a resourcefull bunch in the end . .

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !