Reassurance on green water treatment needed!

Salar

Hello all. My 400 gallon pond has been plagued with green water for two Summers now - last year I installed a biological filter with no effect, now I have added a UV thingy on top, and uprated the pump to make sure enough water is going through. The instructions said the water would turn clear within a fortnight, but after three weeks I can't see any difference - visibility is still four inches. What have I done wrong? Or should I have patience and wait? Should I empty the water out and refill with tap water? I have plenty of weed in there, a nice sediment at the bottom and a small number of carp, orfe and rudd. Any advice gratefully received!

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Suggest you either buy a water testing kit or take a sample (in a clean bottle) into your local aquatics shop and ask them to do a full test for you (may costs a couple of pounds, no more). They can tell you if you have any major inbalances that can be treated. Failing that there are magnetic devices that may help, or chemical impregnated pads that you can put in the filter, and they seem to have worked for me.

One other thing - if your pond was dirty when you installed the filter then it's probably a good idea to clean the mud of the top of the filter medium fairly regularly to start with as it will deposit a lot of mud which will rapidly clog your filter and reduce it's efficiency. Mine had to be done weekly to start with as it was drawing out so much gunk. Don't clean the whole thing as you need to build up the bacteria, but the mud that collects on top of the top level filter can be taken out ok (put it on the vegetable garden).

[ 20. May 2003, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: davidP ]

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

just topping up with tap water can start the whole process over again and certainly dont refill the whole pond with it. Also too much food will do it. Leave it alone and it will clear.

Thanks guys. Patience sounds cheaper - I'll wait for a while and if it still doesn't clear I'll do the testing thing.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

It'll never do any harm to get your water tested. I don't get my pond done that often, but if you keep fish in aquariums its essential to do it regularly.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

if nothing else works you could try a product called Aquaplankton, it will do the job for you but the filter and UV combination should do the trick providing the UV is large enough. A large enough UV will clear green water on its own but a biological filter is needed to filter out the dead alge.

Good luck