Fish Killer!

Elton

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you considered the possibility that it may have jumped out? One of my carp did just that after I drained and refilled the pond. It was presumambly distressed because I had moved it out of the pond to a dustbin while I did the work, then back again. (and d I did let the new water settle for a day). It jumped clean out of the pond then flapped around and was some distance from the pond when I noticed (I was around all the time and there was no possibility of heron/cat). Luckily for him I put him back in and he is fine, sadly his brother, who did not jump, did not survive the transfer.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

lost 2 fish to those furry little buggers recently :( ,i've actually caught furry thing sitting on the edge of the pond drooling, thinking of putting in killer pirannas, if only I can find a way of training them to attack the furry little buggers :D:D

Why not try a large pike or wells catfish in a fenced off area of the pond. They have been known to eat furry things.....

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

The evidence against cats is mounting....

evidence.jpg

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

If the problem is cats, there are several fairly easy remedies....

Cats do not normally like getting their feet wet (though I have known exceptions to that rule). You can stop cats from getting to the pond side by planting lots of marginal plants (some of mine are growing in troughs tied to the seating on the side of the pond, simply because there is no hard surface for them to sit on. They are just as effective, plus I can move whole sections around in one go).

You can buy path/lawn edging that looks like lots of plastic-coated inverted U's stuck together - assuming you have some sort of concrete or wooden surround on your pond, drill the surround about 1/2 to 1 inch from the inner edge, and fix the edging in place. The cat will not be able to get a stable foothold and therefore will not be able to fish as effectively.

Similar to the above - Fix wooden or metal pegs (about 6 inches tall) along the inner sides of your pond and tie several lengths of cotton or wire between them. The cat will again not be able to get a steady foothold (obviously, the closer you can get the edging/wire to the edge of the pond the better).

Lower the pond level by about 6 inches, the lower level may prove to be too much for your local moggies to cope with.

Buy a pike and keep the rest of your fish in your bath for a week or two (best tell the missus about it first though, otherwise you night need the address of ACAS )

Failing all the above, I have a great recipe for a pussy curry :D

Tight wossnames

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

S'okay, John. I have a powerful air rifle and am a reasonable shot....as that rat found out a while back :D

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Elton:

S'okay, John. I have a powerful air rifle and am a reasonable shot....as that rat found out a while back    :D  

This particular rat didn't do cat impressions, did it?

[ 04. July 2003, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: John S ]

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

John S:

If that involves jumping 4ft in the air, crawling off and dying, yes.

Guest Ferret1959
Elton:

Elton:

If that involves jumping 4ft in the air, crawling off and dying, yes.
Now that's cruel.

You should always shoot to kill not injure.

It doesn't matter what you shoot, a slow painfull death is not fair.

If you can't shoot to kill don't shoot at all.

Sorry if I sound a bit harsh but cruelty to animals(any animals) is out of order.