Fluid bed filters

Scott

Interesting. I did some research on the things and they seem to be mostly a UK device. No US mentions of them I could find but lots of UK companies making them.

If the quoted prices include a good pump, then not bad. Otherwise, they seem a little expensive considering the various other options.

How do they work?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

According to what i've read, they work as follows:

Water is pumped into the bottom of a tube (pumped downwards) this has the effect of causing the media to lift and move about in the stream of water (hence the fluid bed bit) as the media is in constant motion it tends not to get clogged up. The media used is normally coral sand which is full of tiny craters that become home to the bacteria any dead bacteria is soon knocked off, also the effect of thousands of bits of coral grinding against each other has the effect of breaking down and large bits of waste that may have came through your pump, idealy your pump should have a decent filter to prevent the coral becoming blocked, its is preferable to have the filter on the return side of the pump (and main filter).

Depending on who you believe using this type of filter can/will enhance water quality and allow higher stocking and/or feeding levels than normal.

Wher I used to work we had fluid bed dryers for drying large amounts of powder so im quite interested in using this for a pond.

The key seems to be able to keep the media in a fluid state and the better models have a by-pass line so you can use a more powerful pump and by using the by-pass keep the bed moving without forcing the water through so quickly that it just emptys your filter.

Scott.

Interesting and I can see how the mechanical part (crushing large waste bits) could work.

Doesn't seem like the dwell time would be long enough for the bacteria to do much though. Usually figure that at least a couple of minutes are needed for any action at all and 10 minutes is even better.

I do think that one of those feeding into a suitable size Skippy Filter or if you have enough room in the yard, a Bog Filter would finish the job nicely.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President