Some of my fish died today but not the goldfish!

Tyke

Yes John we did get thunder/lightning that night and with the pump not working for about 10 hours that will be why they snuffed it i suspose :(

Pete i wil try those algicidal pads as the uv/barleystraw dident seem to cope too well.

Good idea that chesters about using rain water for partial top ups.

Thanks for the link Newt i will be spending some time reading that web site. :D

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes John we did get thunder/lightning that night and with the pump not working for about 10 hours that will be why they snuffed it i suspose :(

Pete i wil try those algicidal pads as the uv/barleystraw dident seem to cope too well.

Good idea that chesters about using rain water for partial top ups.

Thanks for the link Newt i will be spending some time reading that web site. :D

Storms with their associated torrential rain and pressure changes can play havoc with ponds and lakes. My old club has several lakes that regularly suffer oxygen crashes in the summer after storms. The storm actually kills the algae which then starts to rot and deoxygenates the water at a frightening rate. It once got so low that the EA guy thought his oxygen measuring device was broken! We have to hire pumps and arrange for people to sit with them 24 hours a day whilst we reoxygenate the water.

As to the algae problem, can I suggest that you get your water tested. Take a small bottle of it down to your local aquarist shop and for a couple of quid they'll do a load of tests for you. This will tell you if you have any basic chemical imbalances in the water and then they'll be able to recommend any remedies. This may save you a lot of work with cleaning, water changes and the like if the problem can actually be fixed by a small dose of something. It's worth buying your own testing kit eventually as well. They aren't hugely expensive and will last a fair time and it's surprising how often they provide the answer to problems.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

quote:

We have to hire pumps and arrange for people to sit with them 24 hours a day whilst we reoxygenate the water.

blimey pay to get people to sit by a lake ,put me on your list :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Unless the fountain (powered by the pump) stops working for some reason (ie, a lightening storm, power cut or, as happened to me, one of the fish knocking the fountain head off the pump resulting in little or no surface agitation :( )

Most of the big fish went overnight, leaving only one large koi, one moderate orfe and several small goldies. Slowly restocking now.

I have just read this back and realised that it might be taken as a dig at Excalibur, it is really not meant in that way :)

Take care :)

[ 20. July 2003, 01:34 AM: Message edited by: John S ]

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

chesters1:

quote:

We have to hire pumps and arrange for people to sit with them 24 hours a day whilst we reoxygenate the water.

blimey pay to get people to sit by a lake ,put me on your list        :D  

We hired the pumps, it was normally the long-suffering committee members who had to sit with them to make sure they weren't stolen!

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

when i worked on the basingstoke canal restoration i spent two weeks manning the pumps , this meant filling them with diesel now and again and making sure the inlets were clear of gunge , best two weeks of my life , getting muddy , finding bottles and other things (usually munitions) and getting paid for it :) on the other hand i spent a month under ground pointing the bypass sluices (they go from the canal around the "top" gates and fill the chamber as hampshire only had the one lock it was done "properly" i think the surrey end had theirs sheathed .

[ 22. July 2003, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 2 weeks later...