8x6 ft raised pond

Quinny

Hi, I have been planning to build a raised pond in my garden for quite some time, but i have a couple of questions. For the size, 8x6x4ft what kind of fish could i stock? Bearing in mind i will raise it by about 2ft. I liked the idea of a couple of small koi to grow on and maybe some orfe but i don't know whether they'd jump out :( ? Also i quite liked the look of albino grass carp but i am worried the same problem will occur.

Cheers, Quinny

Sounds very similar to mine, which is about 2 foot deep one end and a bit shallower at the other. (four foot deep is quite a hole - the fish will be a long way down!) I have a waterfall-type feature to keep it aerated. I have common carp, rudd, regular goldfish and golden orfe. The pool is in good light but shaded from direct sunlight half the day. Insect and weed life is good, and as far as I can tell all fish have been happy for several years - the carp even produced a few babies.

They only jumped once - due to a mix-up when I cleaned the pond out (long story) I had to put the fish back before the tap water had time to settle and they were not happy - but I only lost one due to jumping.

Easily fixed by putting a net over - which in a 4 ft deep pond is probably something you should do anyway. Without a net cover, herons will be a problem if they have somwhere to stand, so a wire around the edge 18 inches above the rim will stop them.

[ 13. December 2004, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Salar ]

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk