Algae blooms

Randy

you can buy chemicals to do it ,it maybe caused by overfeeding ,cleaning an undergravel filter too well allows the finest particles to go straight through and around and around ,maybe besides the ug filter another type using a carbon and fine straining medium should be considered

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

just get the filter if you dont want chemicals those powerhead versions are ideal (canister type) it'l hide behind plants or bog wood no problem but remember to clean it out ,just vacuuming the gravel wont get rid of all the bacteria but it will loosen the gravel and allow more water circulation and your problem .

goldfish are ok but they do like rooting about ,is it a cold water tank as central heating causes havoc with those and sunshine even more

[ 19. March 2005, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

All I have in the tank are two catfish and a mosquito fish. The tank doesn't have any temperature regulation and also the tank isn't near any direct exposure to sunlight. I had this problem a couple of years ago and added a chemical to the water and didn't change the water and I had no more blooms in it until a month ago after I cleaned the tank and then got the algae bloom and I recleaned the tank and it looks like it's happening again. Since i don't have the coin for another filter, I guess I'm going to go with the chemicals. Thanks Chesters for you insightful comments.

Randy

• 2 weeks later...

How often do you change the water?

20% every fortnight with a gravel cleaner should prevent it ever happening again + squeezing the rubbish out of your sponge from your cannister filter in a bucket of tank water will help too

Good hygene gives good water quality.

I find a heavely planted tank and regular water changes doesnt give me algae problems, plant lots of vallisneria or Ludwigia palustris ( Broad-leaf ludwigia) will eat up alot of nutriants that the algae is feeding off (they grow in low temp enviroments).

Go natural, dont use chemicals, use plants and a good hygene routein and your fish and tank will be alot more healthy and interesting.

I hope im not patrenising.