Leeches

Elton

Cleaned out my filter last weekend and found it had loads of leeches in it. I mean, loads!!

Will these harm the fish? If so, how can I get rid of them?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Norfolkdan:

Get em out and use em for catfish baits    

Does that mean that the carp in there might also eat them?

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Possibly.

If you want to collect them, get an old empty milk carton or coke bottle, cut the top off then put in a bit of fresh liver. Attatch the bottle to a bit of rope, leave for a while, pull up bottle...hey presto! Leeches.

They're bloody expensive to buy, although they may be different species (medicinal.)

I dunno :)

Dan

Seeing as you haven't really had a proper reply.... I mean, come on guys, he is the Boss after all! :rolleyes:

Yes, they can harm your fish if they attach themselves. The wound caused by a leech is an obvious site of infection, not helped by the fact that they inject an anti-coagulant into their victims. There are chemicals you can buy to eradicate them, but you have to be very careful about the dosage. Get it wrong and you cure the pond of fish as well!

Having said that, I guess there are very few garden ponds without leeches, and generally only the sick fish will succumb to infection through the wounds, healthy fish will be able to withstand it. As Dan said though, they can be a deadly bait, not only for catfish but for perch too.

Btw, the ones in your pond are certainly not medicinal leeches, the medicinal leech is larger and tastes different....

The best way to catch them is to immerse your arm into your filter for 20-30 minutes or until you start to feel faint. Remove your arm and try to phone for an ambulance :)

[ 30. August 2005, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: John S ]

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

quote:

The best way to catch them is to immerse your arm into your filter for 20-30 minutes or until you start to feel faint. Remove your arm and try to phone for an ambulance

LOL :D:D:D

reminds me of wading thru brittans pond near guildford when i was a nipper, came out covered in them, you dont feel them latch on, so be careful which bit of your body you put in your tank elton :D

Guest Ferret1959
John S:

Remove your arm and try to phone for an ambulance   :)  

What??????????

Use his stump to dial the number?????? :confused:

Now that's just being silly. :rolleyes:

He should call the ambulance 4.75 hours prior to immersion of said arm.

You know how quick the ambulace service react to emergencies. :)

The fish seem okay so far, so I won't panic. I may clean the filter again tomorrow and see how many leeches are in it this time. I blasted the last lot out with a hose.

Where's Bruno Broughton when you need him ? :D