wot should i get?

geffaz

ive a 6 x 1 tank that yoused to be home to a selection of hard water rift valley fish, usual selection of peiceful ish fish (not super aggresive malawi more tanganyka)one of the inhabitants was a wicked over friendly giraffe cat fish and a nice shoal of 4 monodactylus agententus, that got too big!(well a good 4in across from top to bottom but wre absolut silver plated gems) had to go overseas last year so basicaly gave the lot away to good homes! got back in the last few months and now have a good tank and loads of equipment ready for a new selection!

im maybe thinking hard water /brakish, prefer hard water, no puffers as i just dont get on with them! thinking maybe some more argys and maybe some scats? wot u recon?

not adverse to a amozon tank with plants but always like the hard waters becous the fish can take alot (didnt want to say they were hardy)

ideas gentlmen would be good,

no oscars need apply ;-]

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends what you want really ..

How about ..

Discus

A shoal of big Tinfoils .. lovely !!

Bubblenest builders .. Siamese Fighters etc .. Interesting !!

One Big Specimen Cat ... WOW !!

One Big Pacu .. Double WOW !!

Or even go cold water ..

All the Carp/Golfish varieties .. Lionhead/Fantail etc.

English freshwater .. Roach/Carp/Chub/Dace.

Coldwater Sea ... Crabs/Urchins/Shrimps etc.

Your choice ... :D:D

The Older I get .. The better I was.

discus ar nice but i heard the water quality has to be bang on and ther expensive fish to loose!

i like the idea of a cold water sea tank but sounds like hassle and expensive equipment! such as uv filter and protien skimmer! iv a massive trickle filter but no were to put it!

your maybe onto somthing with the cold water british fish! maybe a pike and a few perch!

i wonder wrer u could get a juvenile pike?

Guest sandpipper

discus are not that hard to keep well not as hard as some people make out its only when you want to breed them you have to start thinking about your ph`s, i kept and breed them for over ten years. the main thing i found that upset them was sudden noises and water flow less water movment the better and change of food everyday dont just but say tubaflex and feed them on that for a whole week because you wont get them of it. If you want to know more lat me know because theres not that many fish i hav`nt kept that inclueds marine too.Tony

like i say i saw a small pike (6ins in a shop years ago!) being a keen pike fisher id like to get hold of one for a community tank of perch and som gudgeon maybe some baby tench, any ideas wer i could get one as as soon as it start out growing thing and arfter tyhe diet of guppys it can go into the local pond! same as the other species!

maybe a heavy flow tank with some brown trout, and just a couple of pike to hang in the weeds?

sorry for repeated post but my mate had a set up of a few grayling and brown trout in a similar situ! looked great

Originally posted by geffaz:

[QB] discus ar nice but i heard the water quality has to be bang on and ther expensive fish to loose!

I can attest to this i had half a dozen raised from the size of a 50p piece and grew them on for three years comparable fish in the shops were going for 2-300 pounds each, then all of a sudden one by one they started dying and in the space of a month i lost the lot [i was gutted]checked everythig water filtration even had one autopsied but never found out what caused it.

Never bothered with a tank since

MOH.gifmynewsiggy.gif

www.electricunclesam.com

I DONT THINK YOUR ALONE ON THAT MATE!

i went for malwis becous ther rock hard!

i like a fish tank but i dont wana be fussy over it if u know wot i mean! so marine is out as i wont to have a bit of a social life, and 20quid up for a fish is a little rich for my blood!

i dont wont an oscar or anything big as i like a bit of activity and watching them asume ther little place in the tank, also cool watching a take over bid and seeing it crushed, and the wana be napoleons get sent home for a re think and finaly acceptance!

thts why i like malawis, each had a nuk or crany and arfter a bit it went peiceful and happy!

with the giraffe cat fish minding its own business and every thing staying outa the way infear of a head butt!

ive plenty of mates that have gone an bout pertenchaly big fish like oscars! wot do they do until feeding time? sit ther looking bored!

maybe just one species shoal, ar wot i need! stak of monodactylus, tiger barbs, neons, maybe just one of the above?

anyone had a shoal tank!

ive herad about these but they always have some other species to keep them together as a shoal!

anyone know any realy good natural shoalers that arnt too nervous? like monos for instance!

Well if i hade a tank that big id go for a fully planted C02 system auascape, but scince as your not after high maintanance proberbly not for you.

Iv had some horrible disasters but like life I learn from them.

If your after a cold water tank and shoaling fish go for whitecloud mountain minnows, there dead easy to look after they breed at the drop off a hat and have no interest in their eggs or fry and they never flippin stop.

Congo tetras are a good shoaling fish grow to a healthy size also easy to breed.

What i will say is plant your tank as much as you can, find what plants will grow in your tank condtion ( i can help you with this one ).

Im looking to start a buisnes in tank building so if your intersested please let me know!

The plants will help keep the water balanced by taking up those nastys that can harm your fish, i think this is why so many novices fail, lack of plants, maintanace and research of the fish they like and how to keep them.

Adeos Ameegos!