wot should i get?

geffaz

Oscars make for interesting fish, they grow well and if kept in pairs develop a bit of a personality.

And they eat anything from fish food to small fry and even lumps of chicken or mince beef apparently.

I`ve a breeding pair of red oscars plus 4 others and they are fantastic fish, they have such personality.

They all eat ham, beef, chicken, smaller fish plus their normal pellet food (or basically anything they can fit in their mouths).

Be warned though, I bought 6 of them back in August 05 and now all of them are at 8"+, they`re extremely fast growing fish and are known as "tank busters" (where they can break the glass on the tank by "rushing it") if they end up fighting or are unhappy with their environment (eg dirty water, unbalanced ph, etc...).

I have the pair in a 60 x 18 x 18 tank which has 12mm thick glass and the other 4 are in a 72x24x24 tank with 15mm thick glass with 2 plecostomus` which one is approx 12" and the other is approx 15".

Oscars are supposedly hard to sex, but there are slight visual differences (without having to vent them) such as the male has a more pointed anal fin and the females is more rounded, but if they pair up and you`re luckily enough to get a pair then you`ll be able to tell which is which :thumbs:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic