Banned Baits

essexboy

Jedi,

I guess you would also have to fish with a member?

I know common sense prevails most often but I have to tell you right up front when you list those rules I wouldn't have a clue.

They say: "No boilies, Bolt rigs, Barbed hooks, Beach casting, Nuts, Paste, fixed method feeders, bait boats."

Boilies ( a bait requiring a hair); Bolt rig (how heavy is a "bolt rig"; all fish bolt - is it only defined as such if you use a hair in conjunction; barbed I know - how about micro barbed or crushed; wtf is beach casting; nuts - peanuts are legumes; paste also no clue as to the consistancy required to make a paste (i.e. wet bread?); fixed method feeder - packbait which is method without a device is ok; and that leaves bait boat. Thank goodness I what a bait boat is. That's one out of seven rules that make any sense at all. Even logical common sense!

Phone

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pearbo,

I was in England whilst a 3 acre carp lake was being reclaimed. They meticulously had moved all the fish to a holding pond; drained it; and whilst I was there they were removing one meter of luncheon meat. A few fish had died and it was blamed on peanuts.

Phone

Nice.... I do believe that boilies once gone off, float to the top though?

pearbo,

Nope, they just pile up on the bottom - well not unless they are pop-ups then they start as floaters and later sink. What would make you even think that? What material could you possibly put in a boilie that would change bouyancy?

Phone

Edit: See, if you honestly believed that boilies somehow return to the surface then it would be an honest mistake to put them in in the first place. The venue would be making a rule for someone who might make an honest mistake. They could say "no boilies" to cover potential disaster based on mistaken knowledge by anglers

Edited by Phone

Anyone else remember the days when angling etiquette dictated that the arriving angler would ask the one already there if he minded if you fished next to him (presuming you wanted to of course!)? On a crowded day ticket water it was also expected of the first guy to say "yes" even if he didn't really want to!

Not only was this regarded as manners but also along with the "traditional" "caught anything?" opened the dialogue so

you would find out where the guy was fishing/baiting/casting to so there was no friction?

These days every one seems to think they are the only one who should be there and just scowl at any other anglers!

Kind of strange now that you can get half a dozen anglers on a 20 acre lake arguing when back then you would often on a weekend be sat shoulder to shoulder without any grief! Sadly indicative of today's society though me thinks.

I still do this if I wish to fish near to another angler, in the hope that it might spread, and become the norm. Most anglers are suprised by the enquiry, but seem to appreciate it. I also say good morning/ afternoon/evening to all I meet on any water, and ask them if they have caught. Suprisingly, after the initial shock, most anglers will converse. If I just get a grunt, I wish them luck and move on. You never know, it might catch on again if enough of us do it!

I still do this if I wish to fish near to another angler, in the hope that it might spread, and become the norm. Most anglers are suprised by the enquiry, but seem to appreciate it. I also say good morning/ afternoon/evening to all I meet on any water, and ask them if they have caught. Suprisingly, after the initial shock, most anglers will converse. If I just get a grunt, I wish them luck and move on. You never know, it might catch on again if enough of us do it!

Like your style Mark! Yes it would be nice to see this sort of thing return as the norm. A smile and a quick chat goes a long way.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

A smile and a quick chat goes a long way.

I agree. It can visibly brighten someones day when you stop to chat to them. Even none anglers. I got chatting to an old fella on the canal once who told me some really interesting stories and a bit of history about the area. In the end we got chatting about model aeroplanes and it was still an interesting chat. I think we were talking for a good half hour and he seemed visibly lifted to have chatted to a young person who didnt want to rob him. If I only changed the opinion of one elderly gent about the younger generation then that is good enough for me. It isnt just about talking to other anglers. There is a lot to be gained from friendly conversation between strangers.

I am a big fan of chatting on the bank with anglers too and will often get chatting to folk on the river on the way to my swim. Fishing has always been a very social thing to me and I hope it continues that way. I chat to almost every angler on the bank when walking down the river even if it is just a quick 'had much mate?'. If nothing else you can guage from their reaction how the river is doing on a given day. Also (mainly on club waters) you may see the same people each time and over time you build up an affinity with them and each time you see them or they see you you can exchange tips, lend each other leads and feeders and whatnot (happened many times) and chat about the form of the river of late to name but a few things. Beats sitting down being a miserable git and grunting at people when they are just being friendly.

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Addict,

A SHORT chat is the key.

I have to be careful not to wear out my welcome. My short chats can turn into an hour and I can easily wear out my welcome. I have to watch myself.

Phone

Addict,

A SHORT chat is the key.

I have to be careful not to wear out my welcome. My short chats can turn into an hour and I can easily wear out my welcome. I have to watch myself.

Phone

Yeah I know what you mean Phone. You can generally tell how much interest a person has in talking to you at any length by their body language and length of their replies. For example:

Had much mate?

Nope.

Wish them luck and walk on. This one is grumpy. (possibly because they've caught bugger all and dont want to go home to the wife)

Had much mate?

Not really but I think they are a bit switched off today. I am thinking of trying blah blah blah...

If you are interested then enquire further and have a chat. This one is clearly a nice chap who has a real interest in fishing and wants to share some ideas and have a chat.

Some people actually enjoy a long chat while keeping half an eye on the rod tips while others just want you to p' off and stop ruining their peace and quiet B)

You always know you arent welcome when someone doesnt even have the decency to turn away from the rods to grunt at you :D

Either way I still think it is polite to show an interest and say hi to fellow anglers. A bit like bikers do when they nod at each other (I used to be one of them). Kind of like a bit of comradeship.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk