Take Care When Changing Tank Water

Elton

FISHKEEPERS in Millom are puzzled by a number of mysterious deaths.

Whole tankfuls of tropical fish have been wiped out in the town after routine water changes were carried out on the same day.

Article here:

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/millom-aquar...ferrerPath=home

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

He said: “The water went really cloudy, but no matter how many water treatments I’ve used it is still the same.”

did he try not using chemicals ,filters wont do a thing unless they are diatomic based or reverse osmosis.

i never ever used tap water in mine ,it was ozoned rain water or reverse osmosis based ,tap water is filthy muck compared and the chorine (probably whats to blame in this case) nasty stuff on good bacteria

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I agree that using tap water is usually a good way to get rid of your fish at some point. Chemicals, pH change, or way too many other things are hard for fish to tolerate unless you have carp in your tank.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• 2 weeks later...

I keep cold water fish and have done so for a number of years now, beleive me Im no "expert" but I use tapwater with Aquasafe.....never had a problem as yet

Just one big fish, PLEASE!!!!!!

• 2 months later...

Andy_1984 just uses tap-water but I advised him at the beginning to keep some of the old tank water aside, when he's doing a full change,to make sure he's adding all the little microbes etc. into the new water.

His water comes from Loch Katrine right enough so there no need for adjusting the water since it's as pure as water gets.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

His water comes from Loch Katrine right enough so there no need for adjusting the water since it's as pure as water gets.
Unless there is a couple of dead ewes lying in the Glengyle burn ;)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Sounds as if United Utilities have swept the incident under the carpet. Could be that they added unusually high levels of chlorine or chloramine to the water, but anyone sensible adding a dechlorinator to their water change would have been fine. Could also be that something really nasty went out inthe drinking water, Camelford style, but it doesn't sound as if anyone will ever know.