Making pole rigs at home

Pondstar*

right.. <_< ive started to sit at home and make my rigs up instead of buying premade rigs .

the only problem i seem to get is knowing how much shot to put on to get the correct depth on the float.

i have a float that says 4x14 on the side , does this meen 4 size 14 shots or am i wrong ? all i find myself doing is agusting it when i get to a peg .

help appriciated

thanks

chris

right.. <_< ive started to sit at home and make my rigs up instead of buying premade rigs .

the only problem i seem to get is knowing how much shot to put on to get the correct depth on the float.

i have a float that says 4x14 on the side , does this meen 4 size 14 shots or am i wrong ? all i find myself doing is agusting it when i get to a peg .

help appriciated

thanks

chris

You will never get a float to cock correctly unless you set up the rig at the peg on the day of fishing - there are many factors involved such as surface tension, tow, wind strength / direction. Thats not to say dont make up rigs at home as I do and heres how:

First find a conversion table that shows 4 x 10, 4 x 12, 4 x 24 etc in grams, it should also have a rough guide to what shot are needed to cock a particular weighted float and also show what each shot weighs in grams.

(I have one somewhere but cannot remember if I have posted it on here - will try and find it)

Get hold of the longest waterproof tube like container that you can - 2 ltr fizzy drink bottles are good.

Cut the top off and fill with water - bear in mind there will be alot of surface tension which will not give a true reading of the float.

Look at you table to see what shot will be needed on rig.

Rub float bristle on your tongue to remove grease.

Take main line spool.

Put float, then rubbers on.

Slide up line a bit.

Add shot / olivette until float body is almost under water.

Take enough line off spool to make length of rig, cut and make a loop in top end.

Slide float up to near top.

See what shot was needed and cut old shot off just above them as line will be damaged.

Slide on Olivette / put on shot where it will be when fishing (bulk shot droppers etc) (I use drennen olivettes and prestons slip shot both of which can be moved without damaging line).

Tie loop in bottom of rig.

Wind on to winder bottom loop first.

Add pole anchor to top loop.

Mark winder with float weight, line diameter/breaking strain, rig length and shotting required.

Repeat for any more floats that are the same.

When I get to the bank I then add a ready tied hooklength depending on conditions, species sought, bait used etc.

Plumb up so hook is just touching bottom.

Add small droppers or another small bulk weight until float sits right - I like about 1/4 inch of bristle showing.

Mark peg depth on pole (using tippex).

Thats just a general guide that will help to start with and once learnt you will learn a few tricks for yourself such as:

If making a few rigs of the same float make up first as above.

Once made count number of turns of line you put on winder.

Take line, make loop, shot as the first float, wind line onto winder until you have one more than the first rig, cut line, put on float rubbers, thread on float in reverse and slide rubbers over stem, tie loop, add pole anchor.

Repeat for next float.

Another tip is not to go mad on float variations or you will confuse yourself.

If pellet fishing get a range of the same pattern pellet float - say four sizes and four of each - that will be 16 floats that will cover your pellet fishing needs - all tied the same execpt shotting weights.

Do the same for lighter maggot floats or paste floats.

When fishing if a rig breaks you will then have another that can be put on and fishing in a few mins exactly the same (by using the tippex plumb markings on your pole).

Mark Wintle - a member on here has co written a very good pole angling book - I would advise obtaining a copy.

Basically just get what you need and dont be fooled by the variety in a tackle shop.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

My pole book is currently being reprinted so I'm not sure how easy it is to get hold of; new copies expected soon!

Because most pole floats originated from France and Italy the convention is to show the loading in either grams or equivalent of Styl weights so 4 x 14 is 4 times no. 14 Styl weights not shot. Styl weights are the opposite to shot in that the larger the number the heavier the weight. The smallest is a no. 7 and the biggest a no. 20.

Here are the equivalents in grams:

20 0.258

18 0.17

16 0.13

14 0.084 = slightly bigger than AAA (.8)

12 0.064

11 0.048

10 0.036 = slightly smaller than BB (.4)

9 0.025 = no. 1 shot

8 0.017 = no. 4 shot

7 0.01 = no. 6 shot

So 4 x 14 = 0.336 grams

Mostly, floats taking 0.5 grams and more are marked in grams.

Have you got a water butt? Thats what I use. Or you could just shot it less and add a few at the bank?

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

You will never get a float to cock correctly unless you set up the rig at the peg on the day of fishing - there are many factors involved such as surface tension, tow, wind strength / direction. Thats not to say dont make up rigs at home as I do and heres how:

First find a conversion table that shows 4 x 10, 4 x 12, 4 x 24 etc in grams, it should also have a rough guide to what shot are needed to cock a particular weighted float and also show what each shot weighs in grams.

(I have one somewhere but cannot remember if I have posted it on here - will try and find it)

Get hold of the longest waterproof tube like container that you can - 2 ltr fizzy drink bottles are good.

Cut the top off and fill with water - bear in mind there will be alot of surface tension which will not give a true reading of the float.

Look at you table to see what shot will be needed on rig.

Rub float bristle on your tongue to remove grease.

Take main line spool.

Put float, then rubbers on.

Slide up line a bit.

Add shot / olivette until float body is almost under water.

Take enough line off spool to make length of rig, cut and make a loop in top end.

Slide float up to near top.

See what shot was needed and cut old shot off just above them as line will be damaged.

Slide on Olivette / put on shot where it will be when fishing (bulk shot droppers etc) (I use drennen olivettes and prestons slip shot both of which can be moved without damaging line).

Tie loop in bottom of rig.

Wind on to winder bottom loop first.

Add pole anchor to top loop.

Mark winder with float weight, line diameter/breaking strain, rig length and shotting required.

Repeat for any more floats that are the same.

When I get to the bank I then add a ready tied hooklength depending on conditions, species sought, bait used etc.

Plumb up so hook is just touching bottom.

Add small droppers or another small bulk weight until float sits right - I like about 1/4 inch of bristle showing.

Mark peg depth on pole (using tippex).

Thats just a general guide that will help to start with and once learnt you will learn a few tricks for yourself such as:

If making a few rigs of the same float make up first as above.

Once made count number of turns of line you put on winder.

Take line, make loop, shot as the first float, wind line onto winder until you have one more than the first rig, cut line, put on float rubbers, thread on float in reverse and slide rubbers over stem, tie loop, add pole anchor.

Repeat for next float.

Another tip is not to go mad on float variations or you will confuse yourself.

If pellet fishing get a range of the same pattern pellet float - say four sizes and four of each - that will be 16 floats that will cover your pellet fishing needs - all tied the same execpt shotting weights.

Do the same for lighter maggot floats or paste floats.

When fishing if a rig breaks you will then have another that can be put on and fishing in a few mins exactly the same (by using the tippex plumb markings on your pole).

Mark Wintle - a member on here has co written a very good pole angling book - I would advise obtaining a copy.

Basically just get what you need and dont be fooled by the variety in a tackle shop.

i do have a tropical fishtank that i use at home to adjust the float that seems to work well .

it was confusing me with what shot to put on mostly with all the numbers .

thanks again to everyone .

chris

A brill step by step guide,

I use the bottle for water, but use a dosiopiombo gadget which holds the pole float by the stem. When in the water, it is of neutral bouyancy and has a small tray which you add shot to cock the float.

In my experience the shotting is usually plus or minus a number 8 shot.