Stolen Fishing Gear Found On eBay

Elton

Great tale, but the punishment seems a bit lame to me!

http://www.selbytimes.co.uk/news/local-new...inker-1-4369760

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Great tale, but the punishment seems a bit lame to me!

http://www.selbytimes.co.uk/news/local-new...inker-1-4369760

there was no punishment :rolleyes:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

there was no punishment :rolleyes:

That's British Justice for you. How much were the legal and court costs to boot?. The only winner is the thief.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

I've given up totally on the British judicial system after something I witnessed last Friday. A friend I've known for years was in court: to put it into perspective a little, this guy is mid 50's, unblemished record with the police and a very genuine, help-all-and-sundry type of guy - a really decent bloke.

Earlier this year he was in a local department store with his grandson and took an armful of things to the till: total purchases somewhere over £120. On leaving the shop, he was stopped by the store security guy (with 3 policemen in tow) and asked to return. There was a childs top folded over his arm, in very obvious view, which had not gone through the till. No subterfuge whatsoever, just a daft 'senior moment' - though I doubt he'd appreciate it being described as such :rolleyes: (I should also mention at this point he was post operative and on morphine based painkillers).

Long story short, he co-operated completely with all concerned (though it took the rest of the day in a local police station) Daughter / mum had to be called out of work there and then to take the little lad (alternative was involvement of Social Services), and his house was searched whilst he was detained. Police declined to issue an on-the-spot 'ticket / fine' which was at their discretion.

So Court - I was there for a bit of moral support. Never commited any offence whatsoever remember, in the last 50 years+, effectively facing a first (single) charge of shoplifting, total value a penny short of ELEVEN QUID. Doctor had supplied a letter stating quite categorically that the meds he was on at that time were very likely to have been causung problems with cognative function. This had been accepted by the prosecution: on that basis (and legal advice) he'd plead not guilty to theft at the Magistrates Court, who saw fit to bump it to the Crown Court ... for ELEVEN QUID!

Guilty verdict (despite the medical evidence!) - EIGHT BLOODY WEEKS IN JAIL!!!!!!!!! - despite some VERY spirited arguments from his own barrister, who was eventually brow-beaten into submission by the judge (posing the question 'Do you REALLY want to go head to head with ME over this???) !

No grounds for appeal, as the sentencing is within guidelines (as was a discharge / fine / suspended sentence etc) - can't even get early release because of the rules surrounding it, and the mechanics / timescale involved in applying for it - he'll be out before he got a decision!

OK, I KNOW that being elevated to a Crown Court case is likely to have ticked off the judge - and that he'll be out after 4 weeks - but I can't help thinking that there is something profoundly wrong with a Judicial system that can apply a penalty like this, yet allow repeat offenders etc walk away from Court, even after breaching ASBO's, suspended sentences etc. :wallbash:

Edited by PeterNE1

the innocent always get the longest sentence (although technically yours was guilty even by accident)

if you try your luck at a crown court by not admitting guilt at a magistrates court ( magistrates can only sentence if guilt is clear and only up to six months) by going in front of a jury you risk far higher punishment and costs even if you are innocent.

the most obnoxious thing comes in long term prison sentences where parole is offered ,if your innocent you cannot get parole (parole is an admission of guilt) so serve a longer term than guilty persons ,or you admit guilt even if your innocent to get out but then you cannot appeal over the sentence later as excepting parole means you admit the offence

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

What is wrong with this country I know exactly how you feel that is so out of order I just can't seem to think what's going through these judges heads some times I think it's almost like being the big kid picking on the smaller kid you know you can win against

Don't even get me started on the other problems in this country

Hope you friend is ok